ANYONE Australian living in Malaysia - NEED Information

Hi there,

I would like to get some information regarding moving to Malaysia with my family. Currently living in Melbourne and planning to move to Malaysia in next couple of months. I am an Architect and 3d Architectural Visualiser.

- What visa status we will be holding by living in Malaysia?
- How is the market in terms of job opportunities and salaries compartivly Australia?
- Can I purchase property under my name?
- What type of benefits Australian can get by living and working in Malaysia such as school and medical allowance for family etc?
- How much % tax do we need to pay?
- How is the country overall, is it worth to live there with family?
- Which is the best city of Malaysia work wise and living wise?
- Is there any Assies abroad type of website for Australians living in Malaysia, where we can become memeber and get knowledge about Aussie social circle and activities or events in Malaysia?

If someone help me out with above questions will be highly appriciable.

Many thanks,
Regards.

I strongly recommend to visit Malaysia and do the research.
If you run your own business thats the way to live here.
Family benefits like in Australia there is no such a things here.
You need to get Private medical insurance.
Working for others maybe possible then again try not to rely on advice you get it here.
To work you need to get offer letter from the company then take it to immigration yourself,try not to involve with an agent to loose your money. Until you get a job every two months you need to travel neighbouring countries to automatically two more months social visa you will get no questions asked.
I had been doing this from beginning I am from Melbourne.
It is a big decision to settle here & I am sure you know that.

All of you can visit here and first hand you can get information will be excellent & very vice decision.

thank you nowhow for your informative reply...

regards.

Hi

1. The working person will have to apply for a work permit, your employer will normally do this for you. Any dependants e.g wife and children under the age of 21, will go on to a dependants pass.

2. Expat salaries are often more attractive than back in their home country. This will depend on the individual employer.

3. Yes you can purchase property in your name as an expat. the property must be valued in excess of RM 500k and you will need to put down a minimum 20% deposit.

4. Again this will depend on an individual employer many will offer the usual medical and life assurance. Some will pay school fees some will give nothing but this may be reflected in a higher salary.

5. The tax structure is tiered system (amounts in Ringgit)

2501 - 5000 - 1%
5001 - 20000 - 3%
20001- 35000 - 7%
35001- 50000 - 12%
50001 - 70000 - 19%
70001 - 100000- 24%
100001 - > - 26%

Be aware for the first 6 months you are in Malaysia you will be taxed 26% as you are classed as non resident should you be resident in the following tax year the excess tax will be rebated to you.

6. yeah its nice, only you will can make that decesion based on personal preferences

7. Kuala Lumpur is the only really developed city, although many expats also enjoy working in Penang

8. I suggest you look at the MANZA website. Malaysian Australian New Zealand Association.

PM me if you want any other info

Hi

Great info from Matt

Highly recommend MANZA, we joined within a week of moving here and now have a very good circle of friends that we hang out with.

Good luck with your proposed move, hope it goes well for you

cheers Karen