Job offer

I have received a job offer to work in a small restaurant.

They are asking about a working permit as they have to declare my wages.

How do I get a work permit and what documents do I need ?

I am an EU citizen.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya Summer

Congrats on the Job offer.  You will not need a work permit although you will need to get an ID card for this you will need to bring your passport, Marriage certificate if you are married.

You can apply straight away for an ID card and you will get a letter after about a week and a half then it takes about 10mins to get it.

Once you get your ID card you can then get your Social security number (National Insurance number) at any social security office.

Thats it really as you are EU you do not need a work permit at all.

Hopes this helps

Julian

Thanks mate.

How long does it take to receive the permit ?

As Julian said, you don't need a permit

So how long would it take to get a social security number ?

Thanks

It should take you 5 minutes, if there's no line of people. :)

just in case - and for those who dont know- you will need your divorce papers as well if you have ever been divorced....

You cannot get a Social security Number without a contract of employment though.

and yes 5 mins... if there is no queue and they aren't on facebook or talking to the mates on the phone :)

scubaboy wrote:

You cannot get a Social security Number without a contract of employment though.

and yes 5 mins... if there is no queue and they aren't on facebook or talking to the mates on the phone :)

I went to the social security office to get my number, they asked for no employment details at all.  I now have my social security number, it took about ten minutes.

x

So what do I need to take with me to get the SSN ?

Thanks.

I believe all I took was my ID card and my passport.  Coming from the UK I think made it easier.
:D

So is it linked to the UK social security or National Insurance.

It it worth me taking my NI card in?

Not linked to the UK one at all... thanks for that info Jules I was always told that i needed to have a contract of employment to get my Social Security number

Cool.... makes life easier for newbies :)

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

Not linked to the UK one at all...

well it sort of is - your NI/SS contribs EU wide go towards your pension etc - the theory is that you can freely move throughout the EU during your working life building up pension credits, and its doesn't matter where you pay NI/SS, just that you did for the requisite time

Wow more new stuff to learn ... Thanks for that George thats pretty good news then to know...

Julian

:)

georgeingozo wrote:
scubaboy wrote:

Not linked to the UK one at all...

well it sort of is - your NI/SS contribs EU wide go towards your pension etc - the theory is that you can freely move throughout the EU during your working life building up pension credits, and its doesn't matter where you pay NI/SS, just that you did for the requisite time

So when the time comes to claim pension,how does it know how much I have paid in the UK,Malta,anywhere else ? It must mean that my Maltese SNN and UK National insurance are linked to each other ?

Thanks.

you tell the UK you paid SS contribs in Malta and give them your Maltese SSN - they ask Malta

Is this all over the EU or just Malta being "behind in time" ? :|

Although not geographiclly possible due to having to attend the job centre every 1/2 weeks to sign,this seems like someone could claim both Job Seekers Allowance in the UK and the Maltese equivilent at the same time since it is not a joined system.

For example,how would the UK know about the Malta payment,and vice-versa ?

Crazy! Would it not just be easier for the Malta Social Security people to ask for a NI number ?

I think you can claim JSA legally here for upto 3 months as long as you tell them and complete the paperwork before you leave the uk and then register at the JC here within 7 days of arrival

But if you left the UK without telling them you would still receive that payment.Then if you register at the JC in Malta you will get a new SSN (which basically seems like a new identity?) and could claim there too ?

Seems like there should be a system put in place that connects the NI number in UK to SSN in Malta.

i would be doubtful about getting any payment from Malta social on NI contributions without them checking your home country - you certainly wouldnt get it without having made any contributions here. No doubt George in gozo will have further info on this one..

But then saying that there are many brits who live here permanently who are on long term UK benefits..and for sure thise that are couldnt afford to live here without having those payments.....

Sunshine I think you are going off on a tangent.

All your details are checked before hand, you have to inform the UK of you leaving or you will not be able to get the money, as you put it you have to sign every 1/2 weeks ...

There is a way that you can get JSA in Malta, but there are hoops to jump through in the UK and in Malta to get this including registering with the Jobcentre (ETC) here in Malta and effectively siging (By fingerprint) every couple of weeks here.

"Crazy! Would it not just be easier for the Malta Social Security people to ask for a NI number ?"

Why should they ??? you are living in Their country and Have to apply to there rules..

Trust me it will be a joined system..... and it will be the same in the UK btw.... to get JSA or any benefit in the UK you have to have the UK SSN therefore does the same apply to Polish, Romanian, Nigerian, and all other nationalities in the UK... will they get benefit in their resident country and in the UK.... Being the UK I would say PROBRABLY !!

Hope this all helps you

Julian

basically, don't worry about it

georgeingozo wrote:

basically, don't worry about it

lol ...  a man of few words George :)

Julian.