It's not easy living in São Paulo

As much as I love this city it sometimes doesn't seem like the largest and most advanced city in South America, not by a long shot.

As anybody who lives here can tell you the major problem here is that all of the infrastructure is very old and has suffered from a severe lack of maintenance over the years.

AES Eletropaulo has a horrible record for providing service to the city. Blackouts are frequent and generally prolonged. Yet, they continue charging high rates and are constantly asking for increases.

Water and sewer services provided by SABESP are hit and miss at the very best. Water outages happen all across the city, water mains and sewer lines rupture causing not only great damages but waste of potable water that is mind boggling. Sometimes the ruptured water/sewer/rainwater lines open huge craters that swallow cars, sometimes even people as in the case of several senior citizens who were getting off a bus when the road and sidewalk under the bus and them gave way.

Rains.... well what can I say? Every time it rains in São Paulo there are generally several areas of flooding which not only displace people from their homes and destroy their belongings. Certainly, much of the flooding is only made worse by the fact that the people here have the horrible habit of throwing garbage everywhere and this plugs sewers. The slightest rain also wreaks havoc on the flow of traffic in a city where at the best of times it's already chaotic. Another problem is that every rain sparks a series of problems with the traffic signals all across the city, creating massive delays and causing accidents. It is surprising that in a city that has heavy rainfalls every year, each time it rains you would think it was the first time in history it has happened. I have never seen a place so totally unprepared to deal with rain. I have lived in Brazil for ten years and in all that time nothing has been done in any concrete way to resolve the problems.

Bridges and viaducts throughout Greater São Paulo have fallen into a sorry state of disrepair and are falling apart bit-by-bit. Many have been closed for extended periods to make emergency repairs when something major has happened.

Potholes are epidemic, anyone who owns a car here can testify to that fact. Almost everybody has had tires damaged or worse still as a result of hitting an unexpected pothole.

The city is not at all "user friendly" for people with handicaps. Sidewalks everywhere are in terrible condition and on many streets they have constant changes in level, sometimes looking much like a staircase rather than a sidewalk. In most places ramping is not done at intersections and crosswalks making life difficult for wheelchair users. Steet furniture, trees, hydrants and light posts are for some curious reason positioned right in the middle of the sidewalks further complicating life for disabled individuals or anyone trying to push a baby buggy. Bars and restaurants place tables and chairs on public sidewalks with an attitude that it is just an extension of their establishment without any regard whatosoever for pedestrians (with or without handicaps). It appears that the powers that be in City Hall have never heard of audible signals for crosswalk controls since only one of the thousands of traffic signals in Greater São Paulo is so equipped (near Laramara, the Brazilian Association for the Blind), therefore visually impaired pedestrians are left to their own devices in order to cross streets. Thank God that Brazilians are a kindly lot and are more than willing to offer to assist in such situations.

Where are our government leaders (at all levels), watchdog agencies, etc. when we need them? What are they doing to push for improvements? Nothing, nada, rien, zip, zero... that's what.

No, it's not at all easy to live in São Paulo.

Hola:
Hi how are you i dont know if you can help me about some information live in Salvador de Bahia, i am going to travel to ]Salvador en April 15, an d need some information abou cost of live ans some area which are pretty for get a rent a little a apparment or a room.

Please if you know someting or some web i will aprecciate your time for it.

regards.

Cecilia

Cecilia,

Sorry to say that I really can't be of any help to you as I have never been to Salvador.

Hi Cecilia,

you should post your questions on the Salvador da Bahia forum for better visibility.

Thank you and good luck,
Christine

"craters that swallow cars, sometimes even people "
Why are you tlling those lies?

Dani,

It's obvious you don't watch the news or check sites like Record or Globo to see what is really happening in this city. Since the beginning of this year alone, one lane of Marginal Pinheiros was closed and CPTM service disrupted because of a crater that opened  alongside the CPTM tracks and Marginal Pinheiros, the incident where 3 senior citizens fell into the crater that opened up under the bus they were getting off was also this year. This city is totally unprepared for dealing with the heavy rainfalls that happen every summer. I am not telling lies, check the internet yourself and confirm that I am only stating facts....... TRUE FACTS.

Check these links, they will open your eyes.

http://www.agora.uol.com.br/saopaulo/ul … 6769.shtmlhttp://noticias.r7.com/sao-paulo/notici … 11115.htmlhttp://noticias.uol.com.br/ultimas-noti … paulo.jhtmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYIncvRHWmIhttp://noticias.r7.com/sao-paulo/notici … 20116.htmlhttp://vilamundo.org.br/2011/01/cratera … r-fechada/http://noticias.r7.com/videos/cratera-e … 7325e.htmlhttp://www1.folha.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ … e-sp.shtml

While the people falling into the crater as they got off the bus happened in Ribeirão Preto in the interior of São Paulo, similar such incidents happen here too. Last year a man walking along the sidewalk beside Rio Tietê was injured when the sidewalk under him collapsed.

My dear young lady, I suggest that before you call somebody a liar you should check out the facts first. Craters here in São Paulo swallow up cars, trucks, buses and people.....TRUE.

E outra... não é uma boa ideia ofender as pessoas que fazem parte da equipe de Expat-blog, mesmo quando você é um membro novinha em folha, viu. Tá descupada, esta vez.

Cheers

Regarding the city not being "user friendly" for people with disabilities I really must give credit where credit is due, commending SPTrans which includes the buses, Metrô and CPTM for their treatment of people with disabilities. They all have staff on hand at stations and terminals to guide or otherwise assist disabled passengers. The trains themselves all have wheelchair positions and reserved seats for passengers with special needs. While not all of the stations (especially older ones) are wheelchair accessible or have elevators, generally security staff haul the chairbound passenger up and down any staircases. Many stations have blue tactile tile strips to guide visually impaired passengers, although they don't do a great job about informing other passengers what the strips are for and accidents sometimes happen with ablebodied passengers who don't watch where they are going. Well over 50% of the bus fleet in São Paulo is wheelchair accessible and all have reserved seats for special needs passengers. Staff on all three modes of transportation go the extra mile to be nice to special needs passengers.

The only real complaint that I have with SPTrans in relationship to handicapped passengers is the mountain of red tape and hassles they suject people to when applying for a Bilhete Unico Especial, they go out of their way to make it difficult and to deny any requests they can. It got to the point where last year the Ministério Publico took action against SPTrans over this.

Not at all like the situation in Belo Horizonte where the few buses that are wheelchair accessible simply fly by a bus stop if the driver sees a wheelchair passenger waiting, or stops and pretends that the wheelchair lift is not functioning. Disgraceful!!!