Setting up a school in a maasai village

I am visiting arusha in april and spending a week in a maasai village.  I am hoping to set up a school with my maasai friend and for me to get a greater understanding of the difficulties faced by the maasai tribe.  Can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about setting up a school and where to start. Thanks

What you are wanting to do could be helpful... here are some thoughts...

A week in Tanzania is very little time in a place where everything is "pole pole" very slow.

Are you wanting it to be an official school, like a non profit thing? (in Tanzania, known as an NGO,non Governmental organization) Or are you just wanting to help some kids with learning through your friend? Is your friend from that specific village?

In either case, one of the first things you should do is meet with the Maasai village leader.

Please note that when a Maasai village leader sees an expat (white skin) he is probably going to think $$$$. (Money) and want lots of it from you. You may get your Maasai friend to discuss it with the village leader before you even get there. Just a thought.

Google organizations that already exist in TZ to help school the Maasai, ( I know there are a few focused on Maasai girls). You can always ask them where to start. :-)

Bonnie in TZ

Hi Bonnie, i am hoping to register as an NGO, the elders of the village are very keen for the school to be built and are willing to help where they can.  Thank you for your advice it has been helpful.