GOLF

Interested in considering the Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete area for a retirement getaway spot, but would be curious to know if that area would represent affordable golf for a modest retirement income duffer who likes to hit it 3-4 times/week.

Have already disqualified some other prime areas (like the Mayan Riviera of MX) after discovering that nearly all the golf courses are expensive resort type courses that offer little or no discount to residents.

Am used to a good variety of very nice public golf courses in West Virginia that average around $30 greens fees with cart for 18. What's it like in that regard on the north shore of DR?

Or, should we be considering an alternate area of DR for affordable golf?

Equal to my golfing needs is the desire to link up with a US expat community wherever we may settle in. I'm former military and have already seen much of the world; and while I'd still find local and exotic cultures charming, "going native" holds little fascination or appeal for me, nor my homebody wife.

We're planning a scouting trip for that irresistible real estate deal in the PP area in late May of this year. Doing our pre-trip recon now and was happy to find this US expat forum just today.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

There is playa dorada golf course in pp that does offer a discount for locals and you will end up paying about $30-40 with card a round.
Playa grande about an hour away is more expensive but a beautiful course on the ocean.
Many also take the hour trip to Santiago with 2-3 different courses again very reasonable.

Bob K

If an easy and inexpensive nine hole course fits your desires, try Costambar. Only ten minutes from Puerto Plata. Never a wait!