Getting married in Romania

Hi Romaniac, others and admins !
I am a Pakistani citizen. My girlfriend is a Romanian citizen. she sent me an invitation and on the behalf of that invitation I got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go Romania due to some personal reasons. Now we want to marry.
I want to know:
1- Can a foreigner (with a visit visa) get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania?
2- should we get marriage in Pakistan? (we can do here, she will come Pak on visit).
3- After marriage, will it be necessary for me that i have to come back to Pak?
I have read 120 comments of this thread, specially of Romaniac, but i couldn't get my answer so please kindly tell me. i am waiting for your answer Romaniac. i'll thankful to you all

Redmorning wrote:

Hi Romaniac, others and admins !
I am a Pakistani citizen. My girlfriend is a Romanian citizen. she sent me an invitation and on the behalf of that invitation I got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go Romania due to some personal reasons. Now we want to marry.
I want to know:
1- Can a foreigner (with a visit visa) get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania?
2- should we get marriage in Pakistan? (we can do here, she will come Pak on visit).
3- After marriage, will it be necessary for me that i have to come back to Pak?
I have read 120 comments of this thread, specially of Romaniac, but i couldn't get my answer so please kindly tell me. i am waiting for your answer Romaniac. i'll thankful to you all

You must have missed the answer then  :)  See my previous post on this thread please.  As for question #2, I cannot answer that for you:)  You two have to decide what works best for you.

Good luck

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Sir,
Please just kindly tell me that: Can a visitor get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania or not? :-)

Redmorning wrote:

Sir,
Please just kindly tell me that: Can a visitor get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania or not? :-)

Yes

Thanks a lotttttt sir :heart:

Hello I arrived in romania in August got married in September and I am collecting my residents card this week! I came on visiting visa so yes its possible. You have to apply to get married as soon as you arrive. Then as soon as you get your marriage book go to immigration and apply to stay. You will need a birth certificate which should be authenticated by the embassy of romania in your country or by your ministry of foreign affairs if it has affiliations to the romanian government. You also need an affidavit that you are not married in your country before the marriage of ofcourse. Then you will need to hire a lawyer and a translator. It sounds complex,it is. But we did it in two months so you can too! All the best.

peainapod wrote:

Hello I arrived in romania in August got married in September and I am collecting my residents card this week! I came on visiting visa so yes its possible. You have to apply to get married as soon as you arrive. Then as soon as you get your marriage book go to immigration and apply to stay. You will need a birth certificate which should be authenticated by the embassy of romania in your country or by your ministry of foreign affairs if it has affiliations to the romanian government. You also need an affidavit that you are not married in your country before the marriage of ofcourse. Then you will need to hire a lawyer and a translator. It sounds complex,it is. But we did it in two months so you can too! All the best.

Thank you for confirming my answer as correct.:top:  I would say though, hiring a lawyer typically is not necessary.  Glad you got through the process ok though :)

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Hi all!
        I am a Pakistani citizen. last year i had got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go there due to some personal reasons. Now i am going again to get a 90 days Romanian visit visa.
Now, me and my Romanian GF decided to get marriage in Romania. please tell me in details about all the documents i need to get marry in Romania. e.g:

1)-  From where i will have to translate my documents? in Romania or i can do it in my country?
2)- If i will not have a birth certificate than what doc i need in replacement of birth certificate?
3)- Can I get a Bachelorhood affidavit in my country? or i'll have make it in Romania?

Redmorning wrote:

Hi all!
        I am a Pakistani citizen. last year i had got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go there due to some personal reasons. Now i am going again to get a 90 days Romanian visit visa.
Now, me and my Romanian GF decided to get marriage in Romania. please tell me in details about all the documents i need to get marry in Romania. e.g:

1)-  From where i will have to translate my documents? in Romania or i can do it in my country?
2)- If i will not have a birth certificate than what doc i need in replacement of birth certificate?
3)- Can I get a Bachelorhood affidavit in my country? or i'll have make it in Romania?

Hello,  the documents you need are discussed on this topic and forum already, so I won't outline all of them yet again.  Your Romanian spouse can always look them up on the city hall's website in whichever  locality they live in (or you can also and use Google translate if you don't know Romanian).

1) It's better to translate your documents here by an person authorized by the Ministry of Justice.  It will probably cost less if you do it here also.

2) You need a birth certificate in original.  If you don't have it, you better get a replacement from the proper authorities with a legalization/supra-legalization.  I'm not aware of any exceptions being made to this.

3) Yes, ideally you should this affidavit it in your country, as it often is issued by the authorities there.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I need to know of the city hall can proceed without the NOC from embassy. I can gt an NOC from my parents.. will that work? Rest i have the single status certificate and everything required.   Its the issue with the NOC from embassy.

mridusmita wrote:

I need to know of the city hall can proceed without the NOC from embassy. I can gt an NOC from my parents.. will that work? Rest i have the single status certificate and everything required.   Its the issue with the NOC from embassy.

You need to find out what govt agency issues it and request it from them, then get it supralegalized. Anything from your parents will not be recognized.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Yes better get all your ducks in a row here because they are merciless at city hall

Hello brother how are you . ? You please contact me here

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi,
I am a German citizen and going to get married to my Romanian fiance in November. Thank you Romaniac for your answers on this topic. It was a good help

Hi
My partner & I (both Uk citizens) are currently trying to navigate the technicalities involved in getting married locally. The British Embassy says that we need a Certificate of Non-Impediment, which is valid for 3 months & they will issue if we make an appointment at the Consulate in Bucharest. This requires the date of proposed marriage.
Do we need this to take to the local Primerie with the passports etc to set the date (if so, how can we do this as the Consulate requires a date)  & can we get the other documents translated, notorised with appostile in Romania? The whole process is staggeringly complex for non-Romanian speakers.

Where abouts are u from?

Hassle72 wrote:

Where abouts are u from?

I don't know who you are talking to, but how is that question relevant to getting married in Romania? Please stay on topic.  You're welcome to use the PM system for asking individual members off topic questions and chatting.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Replying to robin and sue thats the question im asking.  Whats wrong with my question?  I look at what there issue is.  Im from nz but live in australia im in a relationship with a romanian girl.  I want to where us better to get married i want easy not hard or too much thinking to be involved and minimise stress.

Hassle72 wrote:

Replying to robin and sue thats the question im asking.  Whats wrong with my question?  I look at what there issue is.  Im from nz but live in australia im in a relationship with a romanian girl.  I want to where us better to get married i want easy not hard or too much thinking to be involved and minimise stress.

Well, where one comes from really is irrelevant (though they already mentioned they are from UK).  The requirements for marriage in Romania are the same for all foreigners.

If you want easy and less stress, don't get married in Romania!

Also, please use the "quote" link on somebody's post if you want to reply to their comment.  This makes it clear to everyone, to whom you are addressing.  Thanks.

Can i  ask you went with a tourist visa so that will be schengen then you went to romania to register the documents. But romania is not part of the schengen area. What visa did you use to get there?

Anteeka wrote:

I just got married to my Romanian husband. I am Indonesian. We found out that getting married in Romania was a lot of hassle, so we decided to get married in Copenhagen, Denmark, with a tourist visa. It was just a 5 minute process. We got our marriage certificate from Copenhagen city hall, then we registered it in Romania. After the registration, they made a Romanian marriage certificate for us. That was it. We are now officially married according to the Romanian law. I currently live in Romania with a spouse visa.

Can i  ask you went with a tourist visa so that will be schengen then you went to romania to register the documents. But romania is not part of the schengen area. What visa did you use to get there?

Donediwa wrote:
Anteeka wrote:

I just got married to my Romanian husband. I am Indonesian. We found out that getting married in Romania was a lot of hassle, so we decided to get married in Copenhagen, Denmark, with a tourist visa. It was just a 5 minute process. We got our marriage certificate from Copenhagen city hall, then we registered it in Romania. After the registration, they made a Romanian marriage certificate for us. That was it. We are now officially married according to the Romanian law. I currently live in Romania with a spouse visa.

A Schengen visa holder can enter Romania while that visa is valid.  Do note that while you may visit Romania on a Schengen visit visa, you cannot immigrate to Romania after your marriage unless you obtain a Family Reunification visa.

I am a USA citizen about to marry my Romanian girlfriend in Bucharest. We do not plan on living in Romania, but visits back to see her family will of course be bringing me back into the country. Will I continue to enter on the 90/180 tourist days? Or is there a family permit I can get? I have only seen ones regarding if you plan to continue to live in the country..

Thanks.

guggenheimlich wrote:

I am a USA citizen about to marry my Romanian girlfriend in Bucharest. We do not plan on living in Romania, but visits back to see her family will of course be bringing me back into the country. Will I continue to enter on the 90/180 tourist days? Or is there a family permit I can get? I have only seen ones regarding if you plan to continue to live in the country..

Thanks.

Correct, you can only obtain a residence permit for family members if you intend to be resident here continuously.  For visits to her family, just enter as a tourist....you shouldn't be hassled one bit.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I hope someone will answer my question. Im a Filipino and have a Romanian boyfriend. We decided to marry soon after meeting and living together here in PH.
I have problems with my visa..My questions:

1. Will it be acceptable to embassy if his uncle will give me an invitation letter instead together with the proof of accommodation and proof of finance since my bf doesn't have bank account.

2. Is it necessary to show documents attesting the marriage to the Romanian citizen? Will it be not questionable since the one who is responsible for me financially will be of different person I'm going to marry?

3. Lastly, a little irrelevant to the topic. One of the requirements is to book two-way ticket. I'm concerned  the money will be wasted just in case my application wont be accepted. Is there someone here have an experience of refundable airline ticket?

Thank you so much and I would deeply appreciate anyone who would reply. Im losing hopes of how we can meet again because of the visa. Multumesc!

Hi Romaniac
I would like to know details about getting marry in romania. My girlfriend is from romania and I am in relationship with her for last 6 years. She is living in craiova city [dolj county] and she is French/Italian/English translator [free-lancer]. I have my 2 years of residency permit in Denmark till Dec. 2017
I would like to know how much time it will take for me to getting marry in Romania and shift with her in Denmark after marriage. I already visited Romania for 2 times before and stayed there around 25 days in total. I am very much interested to know steps to do this so I can live with her soon. Is it better to let her come to Denmark and get married or in Romania? Also which documents is required for me as an Indian citizen. I have my birth certificate, passport, residency card but I do not have single status certificate. I have affidavit certificate[which stated that I am single] from India but its not attested by MEA of India yet but its notarized. And I do not know if I can get it from Indian embassy in Romania-Bucharest or not. 
I appreciate your help in advance Romaniac, I hope I explained all the details required for my question. Please let me know if I am missing anything regarding to my question.

Thanks,
Dev

I just got married in Romania (April 2017).  I'm an American and my wife is Romanian. We're not living in Romania. Just travelled there to get married. Here's my experience with specifics for Americans.

Your Romanian spouse will need:
1. Romanian ID (check when it expires and make sure it will be valid throughout the period you are in Romania)
2. Romanian birth certificate, notarized
3. Medical exam certificate (see below)

Here's what you need:
1. Your passport, a photocopy of your passport, and an translation of your passport done by an authorized Romanian translator.

2. A copy of your birth certificate, translated into Romanian by an authorized Romanian translator and certified by a Romanian notary. Get this done when you're in Romania. You will need to show your translator and notary the original birth certificate, and you will need that birth certificate to be Apostille certified. That's a stamp placed on the back by a US Apostille agency - otherwise it may not be recognized as an official legal document. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

NOTE: your name on your passport and birth certificate need to be *exactly the same*, without exception!

Many people fail to get the papers right the first time, as I later found out. Marriage applications need to be submitted in-person at the town/city hall where your Romanian spouse is registered.  These city halls can be difficult to deal with. Everything has to be perfect otherwise they'll reject your application.  My mistake was that my birth certificate did not have a middle initial on it, whereas my passport did.  Therefore, they rejected our marriage application - yes, over 1 letter.

Fortunately, we were able to make an appointment at the US Embassy in Bucharest for the following day. They were super helpful. They re-issued me a new passport without the middle initial, so it would match the birth certificate. It took 1-hour.  They also re-issued the letter certifying that I am free to marry.  I can't thank them enough for their kindness, understanding, and help - amazing US citizen services for us lucky Americans.

3. A document from the US Embassy that you are "free to marry".  This is sort of a funny request. As it turns out, the US Embassy cannot issue such a document, because the US doesn't have a centralized database of who'se married. Knowing this, the US Embassy will issue you an affadavit in lieu of such a document. The Romanian town/city hall will accept this. In my case the town hall said they had to call their superiors and ask, but it was eventually approved.

4. Prenuptial Health Certificate obtained from a clinic in the Romanian city/town where your marriage will take place. It's basically a blood test and examination for you and your spouse. There's a time-limit, something like 14-days with which you need to submit your marriage application after you get this certificate, otherwise you have to do it again. Go to the local Romanian medical center - they'll know what you need and will issue you the documents that are required by the town hall. No translator needed.

5. A declaration in Romanian composed by an official Romanian Notary, that you are not married in any other country; proof of termination of any previous marriages. My Romanian Notary had a template for this.  So I didn't have to worry about what it needed to say.  It's 1-page long. You will need an English translator to be present at the Notary.  Interestingly, this template also included options on the "regime" we are choosing for our marriage (regimul matrimonial). The default is "comunitatii" which means a communal regime: everything you purchase individually or jointly after you are married is owned jointly. For example, if your wife buys an apartment in her name, it belongs 50% to you too (and vice versa).  If you want a different "regime" you should speak to a Romanian lawyer prior to getting this document. For example, if you need prenuptual stipulations, get a lawyer. You will need to declare this regime at the town hall too.

6. Decide ahead of time if your Romanian spouse wants to change his/her name. That will need to be in the marriage application. Note that if she chooses to change her name, she will also need to change her Romanian ID.  She can do that in the same town hall, immediately after the official civil marriage ceremony.  However, be aware it takes a few days to get this ID back. So leave enough time.

Submit all of this to the city/town hall where your Romanian spouse is registered. They will then require a 10-day waiting period, presumably incase anyone has objections.  They will ask to schedule a date/time for your official civil marriage at the town hall after the 10-days.

At the civil marriage ceremony, make sure to have an English translator there, otherwise they will not proceed.  It's an amazing thing - the Romanians do it with pomp!

You will receive a 1-page marriage certificate in Romanian/French/English.  I suggest you go to the local notary and get a couple of notarized copies, as you'll likely need them for various purposes.

All the best to you and your spouse!

The translation/legislation of ones passport is not a legal requirement as per HG 64/2011 (at least for me it wasnt as a EU citizen)

@ronale

Welcome to the site! Thanks, that was a very good and helpful post!  :top:

Just to comment about my experience, which differed from what you outlined.

My name on my birth certificate and passport do not match (My birth cert showed two surnames, one of which I've never used).  I simply made a declaration at the notary stating as such, and it was accepted without issue.  It's possible they have gotten stricter about this, but at one time at least, it was able to be dealt with without changing the passport or requesting a corrected birth certificate.

A question though about the Romanian spouse requirements.  Why did they ask for a notorized Romanian birth certificate??  That doesn't sound right at all, and I haven't seen anything on the city hall website stating such a requirement.  What I've seen is the original and a copy, which they verify personally.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

romaniac wrote:

My name on my birth certificate and passport do not match (My birth cert showed two surnames, one of which I've never used).  I simply made a declaration at the notary stating as such, and it was accepted without issue.  It's possible they have gotten stricter about this, but at one time at least, it was able to be dealt with without changing the passport or requesting a corrected birth certificate.

A question though about the Romanian spouse requirements.  Why did they ask for a notorized Romanian birth certificate??  That doesn't sound right at all, and I haven't seen anything on the city hall website stating such a requirement.  What I've seen is the original and a copy, which they verify personally.

Hi Romaniac,

Regarding changing the passport, you're experience may still be valid. They may have accepted a letter from the Embassy stating that both versions of my name are accurate.  But that would be a risk that I didn't have time to make. Plus Bucurest is 300km away from where we were, and we had to make a second trip there for the Embassy, so I took no chances.

On the Romanian spouse requirements, I got it wrong. Just asked my wife and she said that the town hall just wanted a copy of the birth certificate, and to see the original.  Thank you for the correction!  And thank you for all your help on this forum!!

Ronale

Hi everyone,

I went through the whole topic but I couldn't find an answer to my situation so if you can help me i would really appreciate it.
I am Romanian and engaged to an Orthodox Lebanese that currently enters the country with a Schengen visa (he is doing this for 1 year already, going back and forth when the 90 days period expires). We plan to get married here but from our research we didn't understand whether we can do that or not as long as he has a Schengen visa and not a short/long term ROMANIAN visa. What we found was "passport with a valid visa"....but not what kind of visa...

I found a lot of interesting infos on the forum, so helpful!!!

Thank you,
Andy

Andy_Ch wrote:

Hi everyone,

I went through the whole topic but I couldn't find an answer to my situation so if you can help me i would really appreciate it.
I am Romanian and engaged to an Orthodox Lebanese that currently enters the country with a Schengen visa (he is doing this for 1 year already, going back and forth when the 90 days period expires). We plan to get married here but from our research we didn't understand whether we can do that or not as long as he has a Schengen visa and not a short/long term ROMANIAN visa. What we found was "passport with a valid visa"....but not what kind of visa...

Thank you,
Andy

Hi and welcome Andy :)

I would suggest that you start a new post as this is an old one and you might not get a response on here.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Andy_Ch wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Andy

Andy, if they hold a valid visa and have entered the country legally, it's possible to get married.  A Schengen visa holder does not require a separate Romania visa to enter, as long as it's a multiple entry visa.  In reality, the people at the city halls aren't flipping through passports and looking for visas, as some non-EU citizens can enter Romania visa-free.  They only need a legalized copy of the main photo /info page of the passport.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

@romaniac Thank you for your answer.
I will better pay a visit to the immigration office.

Andy

Hi I'm from Mexico and I'm currently living in the USA. I met my boyfriend in USA and I want to travel with him to his country. I have understood that as Mexican I do not need a visa to travel but I want to move there... so if I get married to him will I be able to get a work permit? or a spouse visa? and how long would it take? if you know anything about it please let me know... we have to decide quickly because he has to go back to Romania soon... Thank you! appreciate it :)

Luz Delgado wrote:

Hi I'm from Mexico and I'm currently living in the USA. I met my boyfriend in USA and I want to travel with him to his country. I have understood that as Mexican I do not need a visa to travel but I want to move there... so if I get married to him will I be able to get a work permit? or a spouse visa? and how long would it take? if you know anything about it please let me know... we have to decide quickly because he has to go back to Romania soon... Thank you! appreciate it :)

Hello, as the spouse of a Romanian citizen, yes you can obtain a Family Reintegration Visa (takes up to 60 days) and a work permit.  I would recommend you read through topics on the forum, as it is discussed in depth already. 

A word of advice though, consider visiting Romania first before deciding for certain if you want to move here.  It may not be what you expect, if you haven't been here before. :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

What happens if my country of origin has no embassy or representation  in Romania?

Trixiezw wrote:

What happens if my country of origin has no embassy or representation  in Romania?

What happens with regards to....what?   :/ Maybe you could clarify your question, and also introduce yourself please.

Romaniac

Oopsy!🙈. I'm Beatrice from Zimbabwe and am hoping to marry my Romanian bf in December. Where do I get the affidavit that says I'm free to marry from if my country has no representation in Romania?

Trixiezw wrote:

Oopsy!🙈. I'm Beatrice from Zimbabwe and am hoping to marry my Romanian bf in December. Where do I get the affidavit that says I'm free to marry from if my country has no representation in Romania?

Then, you should get it from the authorities in your country, before coming to Romania.