Getting married in South Korea

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in South Korea or who are about to get married in South Korea to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in South Korea? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of South Korea)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I'm editing a website about to go live that has lots of helpful legal info. about things like this.  I too am about to get married ~ so I'll be interested to be a part of this thread and will have firsthand info. too :)

My husband and I married in Korea. I am American and he is African. It toke us 15 mins to marry. The process is very simple. You go to the Embassy and fill out spinster paper and swear before them you have never been married and then they notorize it. You take your paper (spinster paper for man and woman) to the clerks office and fill out the paper for the marriage. You don't switch rings so if thats what you want you go to a church for that. The marriage certificate is 400 wons. You also need 2 witnesses to sign for you. It's an informal process. Get your marriage certificate and get it Translated to your language and notorized and take to embassy to notorize and finished. The whole thing will cost 230.00 dollars and you can pay in Wons. It's a quick process.