Getting married in the United Arab Emirates

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in the United Arab Emirates or who are about to get married in the United Arab Emirates to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in the United Arab Emirates? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of the United Arab Emirates)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I was married in the UAE 3 years ago and it was quite easy.   It seems like some of the churches have authority from the government to approve and proceed with a wedding - after that they issue a certificate which has to be stamped by two UAE government agencies - also simple.   Just go to the venue, pay a small fee, and stamps are affixed etc.   Being an Anglican I went to St Andrews - all they asked for was proof of single status for us both.  My wife is a Thai citizen and I am a US citizen.   Really no hassle at all.   However I think it might be more complicated for a a non-national to marry a UAE national. In that case there are plenty of attorneys here that can advise.

Hi medrummond and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for your contribution.;)

Harmonie.

Also, you are usually required to prove that they are both legal residents of the UAE. If someone got married on a tourist visa, I'd love to know how they managed... It would be very useful information.