Things to do in Riyadh?

I've been living in Riyadh for 3 weeks now and starting to get the BORED stage of living here. I've been looking for things to do any ideas?

I wanted to go for a swim today but don't really fancy it in this dust and there's not much going on in the shopping malls for a young single guy. They're all ladies clothes and kid's shops.

if you are a history lover, there are tons of ruins and historical sites, and museums around there from the research im doing. Ill be there in a month or so also

I don't want to put a damper on you, but the 'historical sites' in Saudia aren't too much. 

I leave the country for my dose of history--while you're in the ME, don't miss Petra in Jordan!!

there are caves, and tons of stuff out there. Ive been talking to a few guys that i will be working with.  It isnt right next to riyadh. but within an hour or so, there are a number of places to visit to keep you busy just doing that for a few months apparently on the weekends.  I realized in jeddah that you gotta get out and do something. sitting in the villa sucks

True but the caves you speak of, all depends on having the contacts and the wheels.  Most of us here have neither.  Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (explains why I am home at 3 on Friday lol  but in my defense, I am expecting friends over at 5!).

well, if you want i can keep you in the loop on anything that goes on when i get there.  Wife will be comming a few months later, so itd be good to be able to introduce her to someone that isnt a stranger

@allie cat - any idea on how to get to Jerusalem once we're in Jordan? I know we can't have them stamp our passports in tel aviv.
Any advice would be appreciated. We're in Riyadh btw

Princess sunshine wrote:

@allie cat - any idea on how to get to Jerusalem once we're in Jordan? I know we can't have them stamp our passports in tel aviv.

Hi, PS!  Believe it or not, I was within 30 miles of Jerusalem but didn't go because here's how it works:

You take a bus to the border and you can be held up there for hours for security ...

Then you take the bus from there to Jerusalem.

I didn't do it because I didn't have that much time.  If I could have been assured it would be a day trip, I'd have done it in a heartbeat but you can't be sure of how long you'll be held up at the border.

At one point, if you go to the baptismal site of John the Baptist on the Jordan river, 15 meters across the river is Israel.

Thanks for the idea, like Alleycat said, I don't have a car here yet I'll check out the museums in Riyadh, there must be something open on a Friday

Callum wrote:

Thanks for the idea, like Alleycat said, I don't have a car here yet I'll check out the museums in Riyadh, there must be something open on a Friday

The National Museum is GREAT!  I've been there 3 times, most recently last Wednesday night.  I'm not sure if it's open on Friday, though.

Alliecat wrote:

I don't want to put a damper on you, but the 'historical sites' in Saudia aren't too much. 

I leave the country for my dose of history--while you're in the ME, don't miss Petra in Jordan!!

While in you're in Saudi, don't miss Mada'in Saleh (Petra's sister city). Definitely worth the trek.

Princess sunshine wrote:

In Jordan if you want to visit Isreal the government issue another (temporary) passport so that the original passport wouldn't have Israeli stamp on it. Ask your embassy if there is a similar thing in your country.

Creative85 wrote:
Princess sunshine wrote:

In Jordan if you want to visit Isreal the government issue another (temporary) passport so that the original passport wouldn't have Israeli stamp on it. Ask your embassy if there is a similar thing in your country.

She knows that already--they'll stamp a piece of paper but she wanted to know *how* to get to Jerusalem from Jordan.  I'd have loved to have gone but unfortunately *sigh*  Oh well, another time :)

youngthegiant wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

While in you're in Saudi, don't miss Mada'in Saleh (Petra's sister city). Definitely worth the trek.

There is no comparIson ! Petra is much better

Creative85 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

There is no comparIson ! Petra is much better

I agree!!  And, strangely enough, it's easier to LEAVE Saudi Arabia and travel around than it is to travel IN-country (esp. for women).

Alliecat wrote:
Creative85 wrote:
Princess sunshine wrote:

She knows that already--they'll stamp a piece of paper but she wanted to know *how* to get to Jerusalem from Jordan.  I'd have loved to have gone but unfortunately *sigh*  Oh well, another time :)

There is two way to get to Jerusalem from Jordan , noting that American and most European citizen doesn't have to apply to a visa and Israel will issue visa for them on arrival,
The first way is by going from Amman (queen Alia airport) to tel aviv by air then  by taxi to Jerusalem. Cost around 45 shekel. Or by bus to central bus station (5 - 10)shekel then by another bus to Jerusalem ( ~ 20 shekel)

The second way is by land through king Hussein bridge , you will pay 10 JD pass fee , this way is so difficult as you might stay for hours to cross the bridge , also if you do not want to cross west bank it will take much longer time on the road  to reach Jerusalem.

Creative85 wrote:

this way is so difficult as you might stay for hours to cross the bridge , also if you do not want to cross west bank it will take much longer time on the road  to reach Jerusalem.

Dude!  I already said this !!!!!!!!

Old market , Red sand , Gold market ,

In relation to your topic, since your all talking about traveling to Jerusalem, has anyone flown from Riyadh to Jerusalem for a little visit? Nice to meet everyone by the way!

You could maybe? But you would NEVER come back to saudi lol

LOL! I guess I'll have to wait for my contract to end.....permanently! haha

I guess you could fly to Jerusalem from Riyadh but one way ticket!!!

(moderated:no self-promotion + please post your CV in the Jobs in Riyadh section)

For Expat fun you just have to find an Expat party in a compound.