Moving to Mauritius

Hello all!

Names Matt and I am planning a 6 month visit to Mauritius in Jan 2013. Very excited, words just aren't good enough! Anyway, not really used a site like this before and have been advised in this direction. I have lots and lots of questions but i will keep them on a steady drip drip!

First question is how much is a 6 month stay going to cost in terms of household bills, food & drink, transport, activities etc. I dont want to live like a king but I also dont want to be living like a street urchin! And if possible i would like to get out to Reunion and the Seychelles during my stay. Is that a realistic goal? or over-priced madness?

I wont be alone, my girlfriend and our mutual friend will be there. We are being accommodated in a family flat located in Flic en Flac and the rent will be very low. I am hoping to save enough over the next 9 months here to live comfortably for 6 months there. Any esitmations as to how much i will need greatly recieved!

Lovely to meet you all! and thanks inadvance for your help :)

Kind Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

given you are coming on holidays, as an indication, household bills will be around MUR 2,500 per month with aircondition. foods and drinks etc with nightlife etc approx MUR 10,000 - 20,000 per month. transport if by taxi no idea but public transport very cheap.

going to Reunion is expensive as u need to count in euros. flight may be MUR 7,000 per person.

if ever u need any information before coming here, i will be glad to help you. call me on +230 948 7420

Neeraj

Hello Neeraj

Thank you very much, those numbers all seem well within my possible budget. I am fortunate to have a half Mauritian friend who will be coming along so she knows a little but she has not been to the island for quite a few years.

Its great to be in touch with someone whos there now! I am already glad i joined this site! Prehaps you have some advice on working while in Mauritius. I am aware that i will need to obtain a work permit and or residence order but what about a little cash-in-hand job? Or is that a risk not worth taking? Once again thank you for your quick response.

Matt

Hi Matt! Belated welcome to Expat.com :)

To be honest, I personally would not go down the cash-in-hand route. But that's just me. Plus, I wouldn't know anything about the cash-in-hand jobs.

But just as a first option, you might wanna look into the possibilities of a work visa. I'll do some research too if i've some spare time.

Out of curiosity, what sort of work would you be after? Anything in particular? Reason being that it might be easier to obtain a work visa for certain areas of expertise.

Cheers!

Hi Matt

no problem. i am in the offshore sector so dealing for the work and residence permit etc is my thing. if you are coming for 6 months it is going to be tough to get work permit as there are many criterias to fulfill. you may wish to visit the Board of investment website for these.

i would suggest that when you are here you look for something to do here depending on your qualifications and experience. you can already visit DCDM recruitment or myjob or maujod websites in mauritius for an idea.

otherwise, should you be interested may be when you are on the island, we can get together for some drinks in a pub.

see you aound.

Hi,

I have been to this beautiful peace of land on earth,Mauritius 5 months back...I am planning to shift to Mauritius under a job or through a Self employed category..

it would be appreciable,if some one can help me in the aforementioned dream...Currently i am staying in New Delhi,India and working as a Sales manager in a Telecom Company..I have registered myself on myjob..but could not find anything for myself..

Looking forward to hearing from someone..

Hi Abhinav,

There are other websites like that of DCDM recruitment or maujobs. if i may ask you, what sort of job are you looking for and what is your expertise? you may wish to visit the website of the board of investment in Mauritius if you plan to come as an investor. please email em on [email protected] and i shall send you some further information about this by email. i cannot send you this on this portal.

my field of expertise is offshore sector and i can give you ideas on how to do this.

otherwise, if you have some clients/contacts who want to open an offshore company in mauritius, please let me now and you can earn a referral fee out of this minimum is USD 500.

Hi Neeraj,

Thanks for replying dear,I have sent you a mail on the mentioned mail id mentioning all details,Please check and revert if possible.

Thanks once again

Hi neeraj,

Mate..I have sent you a mail on your mail id..pls check and reply if possible..

Thanks in avance..

Hi Abhinav,

I sent you an email. please check and let me know if you have received same.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

For the health insurnace, you may need to come here for some tests and health checks before obtaining ay insurance. However, i am wondering if you are here for six months, whether this will be beneficial.

May be you will need to check on this. Please vist Momentum or Apollo Bramwell websites for furtehr information.

Thanks guys, all useful news.

The kind of work i am looking for will be in the field of Social Care. I plan on saving enough money to survive for 6 months without needing to work. Instead i intend to seek voluntary work and if that leads to any paid work then thats great.

I will consider any work in the Social care sector. Preferably with children but caring is caring whoever i'm working with.

Any links to employment agencies that specialize in Social care work would be good? Do these exist on the island? I already have another thread going for this kind of information but here is fine also :)

Regards Matt 

I am aware of the visa requirements and work permit needed to obtain gainful employment.