Contemplating a new start in Spain and utterly petrified!

Hello,

Am thinking about moving to Spain this autumn and hoping for some advice.  Am British, mid-thirties, single and just fancy a new start.  Am thinking about where to go, have no property in the UK so will be renting, just looking for s small city where there is a mixture of natives and expats.  Am a teacher but not really looking to do TEFL as it's very insecure, so hoping once I've got enough Spanish to find something more secure.  As I am coming alone, most important thing is to find somewhere small enough so that I can make friends and join in. 

If anyone can give me some advice I'd be delighted.

Thank,s

Clairex

Welcome on board Claire!

Regions in Spain are so different! I've lived in Barcelona and Madrid, and I really really loved it :)

I am sure you've already seen several TV shows about Andalucia, but bave you ever heard about other regions such as "las Asturias", "Castilla la Mancha" or "el pais Basco"? Do you know Valencia?

Best of luck in your projects,

Julien

I would look at several things first. 

Weather.  Decide what you like and hate, and check it out very very carefully.  That will narrow it down a bit.

What activities you like to do.  Surfing?  North coast, mountain walking?  Sunbathing on the beach? Do the homework

Figure out what your going to do for income.  A lot of the international schools hire and you may be qualified, I believe that they even have job fairs.  That may decide where you live right there.

If you live in one of the autonomous regions like Catalonia or the Basque region, be prepared to learn some of the local language as well as the Castillian.

There are several websites that are specific to expats in Spain so check that out.  A lot of the British Expats end up in the same areas together and if that interests you, best to find out where.  Some of these sites have job postings as well as flats to share.

When you've narrowed it down a bit, come and visit the town you have in mind.

Good luck and have fun.

Hi CC

I am also single mid thirties female - and have been in Spain (Valencia) for a couple of years... Prob not best qualified to advise re jobs but if you wanted to ask any other questions pls feel free!
Good luck

Hello

I know how hard it is to move to a new place without knowing the language. I have lived all over europe at one time or another. I spent two years living in barcelona working as a waiter. But you have to be brave and its like being on holiday for mont or so but you will get used to it and you won't be the only english person there. You will meet other english speaking people who know other people. I wish you good luck on your travels.

As Julien told you, apart from Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and Andalusia, there are really nice places, maybe with not that much expats, but great to live in. I have a prediclection for Castilla-la-mancha, but that's very personnal!
Good luck!

I have heard good reviews of Tenerife in Spain particularly of the unchanging warm weather, perfect work environment and living atmosphere.

well i would also try the canary islands or balear islands , where there is a lot of english tourism, and it might be easier to get a job; also I would check with the british council, since they are always advisinf for vacancies on the spanish newspapers.

curlyclaire wrote:

just looking for s small city where there is a mixture of natives and expats. 
Clairex

If you need expat contact (and some go mad without it), then you are limiting yourself to either the big cities, the med coast or the islands.  I donŽt know of any significant expat communities in other areas.

Most of the med coast you would probably hate anyway; ruined by over-development (a deliberate oxymoron) and corruption.

Since you want a small community, your choices are limited.

I would of course offer Casares as a destination, there's only a dozen expats in the town itself, the other thousand or so live either on the coast or in the campo.  I'm sure there are many similar towns in Spain, you'll just have to do some serious research to find them.

At least you would have TEFL as a fallback whilst looking for a long-term job.  I've been here five years and I'm still looking!

Hi curlyclaire
I see that you posted your question some time ago, but, as you are not contemplating moving to Spain until autumn, I thought I would still add my comments here:).
You say you are "looking for s small city where there is a mixture of natives and expats"
Well, Granada isn't particularly small, but it's a lovely city and well worth considering.  Also, as it is at east 40 minutes drive from the 'Costas', it hasn't taken on that ugly 'touristy look' (or atmosphere) as have cities like Malaga and Toremolinas further south.  There is a growing expat presence in Granada, and in the villages and towns surrounding it, but not enough to have affected the area in a bad way. There seems to be a different attitude to life here from expats that there is on the costas. Granada also has a pretty vibrtant cultural life.
But I also noticed that you mentioned that you need to learn more Spanish in order to get a more secure job than TFL teaching.  What I would say about Granada is that it is difficult to find work for an employer here without pretty good Spanish (I know. I'm still trying) and, as in many Spanish towns and cities (and even in places where there is a large expat community) most people still only speak Spanish (it is their native language after all ;).
Don't let that put you off though.  As I'm sure you will learnSpanish very quickly.
Good luck with your move!

I'm looking to live 'near' barcelona....from the US. I do have a family and would like to find an 'affordable' place that is about 45 mins +/- (train or car) from an airport. I'm not so concerned witht he big city, and wondered if there are 'rural' places outside of the city...sort of like here in the US. in many places around DC, Atl and other southern cities, one can live a little way out, and do well with housing. Any thoughts?

There are a ton of little towns outside of the big cities...not quite like in the US, as they aren't so far apart and the public transit is usually much better.  The main airport in BCN is on the South East side of the city, so that may be a consideration, and if more of your flights will be within Europe, there is also an airport in Girona.  Certainly what you have discussed is quite possible.  Be aware that many of the smaller towns near BCN are mostly Catalan, and if you put your kids in the local schools they will be doing all of their schooling in Catalan rather than Spanish.  The only international schools will be in the bigger cities, or possibly in towns where a lot of expats congregate....the kids are also a great way into the community as well though.  It also depends on your thinking about affordability.  Housing costs in Europe are higher than in most of NA, outside of the obvious high cost spots like Manhattan, and Spain's cost of housing vs standard salary ratio is kind of whacked...so you should probably rent to start with till you figure out a bit more of what is going on.  Hope it helps, please post if you have more questions.