Buying your groceries in Belgium

Hi all, I hope someone here can help me out:)

I heard that some people in Belgium may take a trip over the border to France or Germany on occasion in order to purchase cheaper groceries. For example, cat food. (This is for a marketing assignment I'm doing).

Is this true in your experience? I have looked all over the net for something on this (a friend mentioned it to me) so I'm wondering how common this is if it even happens at all?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I have heard of this although I have never done it myself so I don't have first hand experience, but certain things such as diapers are really expensive here but apparently if you go to France they are much cheaper. I think it may be related to the TVA on certain goods, although you would have to do some more research into it.

Cheers

Yes, it is true for quite a lot of groceries.
Belgians (living in the North and East of the country) and Germans (living in the West of the country) frequently pop over the border for their shopping. Especially the (Dutch) Limburg "Bulge" bordered by the cities of Roermond in the North and Maastricht in the South is known for shopping malls specifically attired to welcoming foreign shoppers.
Of course, it all depends on whereabout you reside in Belgium to make it worth your while.

Best of luck !