Considering a move to Al Khobar some advice please....

Hi

Myself and my wife are considering moving to Al Khobar. I have recieved a job offer at a international  school and i am considering moving there. I have some concerns and worries and was hoping for some advice.

What are the compounds like? i hear some have gyms, resturants, swimming pool etc. Is it possible to live on the compound 24/7 for two years? within the compound would myself and my wife be able to dress like we do in the west i.e shorts, dress etc.

I know that places are segregated, but does this apply to a husband and wife? If i go to a resturant with my wife will i be able to sit down with her and have dinner? Or would i have to sit in another place?

How safe is the town of Al Khobar? is walking down the street with my wife possible without being hasseled?

My last question is rather sensitive as some might think i am being very politically incorrect, but here it goes. I have heard that Saudi society is very Hierarchal. Saudi's are first class citizens. White westerners are second class and then the asians from india, Pakistan, etc are third class and get treated awfully. Is this true? Although myself and my wife are british we are british indian. This worries me as i dont want to be treated like dog muck by the locals. I have heard of stories where asians are treated badly and some horror stories where asian women have been kidnapped and raped. Now i can handle underlying subtle racism and handled that all my life, but i would hate to see my wife being treated badly, or leered out by the local men thinking they can do whatever they want to her because shes "inferior".

Could anyone give me some advice or experiances of living there?

Thanks

nowhereman33 wrote:

What are the compounds like? i hear some have gyms, resturants, swimming pool etc. Is it possible to live on the compound 24/7 for two years? within the compound would myself and my wife be able to dress like we do in the west i.e shorts, dress etc.

Compounds are like housing colonies. Most of them have gyms, restaurants inside. But you don't have to stay (jailed) inside 24/7 for 2 years long :). You can exit and chill out any time you like.

nowhereman33 wrote:

I know that places are segregated, but does this apply to a husband and wife? If i go to a resturant with my wife will i be able to sit down with her and have dinner? Or would i have to sit in another place?

Who on earth can bother a husband and his wife sitting or eating together? Of course local culture has to be respected like dress like what the culture suggests. Avoid start showing off affection in public ;) That's it.

nowhereman33 wrote:

How safe is the town of Al Khobar? is walking down the street with my wife possible without being hasseled?

Al-Khobar is much safer than the place where you live right now.

nowhereman33 wrote:

My last question is rather sensitive as some might think i am being very politically incorrect, but here it goes. I have heard that Saudi society is very Hierarchal. Saudi's are first class citizens. White westerners are second class and then the asians from india, Pakistan, etc are third class and get treated awfully. Is this true? Although myself and my wife are british we are british indian. This worries me as i dont want to be treated like dog muck by the locals. I have heard of stories where asians are treated badly and some horror stories where asian women have been kidnapped and raped. Now i can handle underlying subtle racism and handled that all my life, but i would hate to see my wife being treated badly, or leered out by the local men thinking they can do whatever they want to her because shes "inferior".

LMAO..... :lol:
We'll like to know about the information sources whom you have been consulting and who fed you all that crap!

The hierarchy does exist but majorly in the job sector prioirities with negligible amount in daily life.

The rest, whatever you wrote above is at least 500% wrong.

(I'm not sure but) I believe Al-Khobar is a name of a city in the country called Saudi Arabia on the planet Earth. :mad::mad::mad::dumbom:

TLL is right... you wont have to be unecessarily worried about things.
Khobar is safe and you will not have to worry about most of the things that you have mentioned on top.
the horror stories that you had heard well remain horror stories, to scare lil kids, and make them behave and such. Bad things happen everywhere but then comparatively it happens much less here than anywhere else.

Compound life will be much more relaxed you will have the opportunity to meet a lot of expats and events to mingle.

1) compounds are walled housing sectors (atleast 100 houses) ,, almost all of these compounds have ,, gards at main entrace... yes all of the compounds have pool . resturant shops .. health clubs .. few have bar ,,, and also all of the compounds throw parties ,,  events ,, concerets// and soon ... u can even wear bikinies inside the compound.... we are also asian pakistanies living in compound... 2
2) all the cities of saudia are safe for famlies ... u can move , shope and chill any where with famliy n wife ..crime rate is very low ...
but this is 10000000 % true that saudies are first class ,, not only first class .. as comapied to asian they are alians .. came from sky .... and this is also true .. that american and westren all r 2nd class ... other arabs are ,, 3rd and asian at the last stage .... but as nature of arabs ,,, that if some one is powerfull .. in any status ,, like powerfull job ,, lavish life style ... and naturally he is strong and agressive then they stay a bit far ,, otherwise this is more than 10000000% truth ... that ,,,saudies and arabs and americans are ,,, first 2nd class .. y americans .. because they r powerfull and all arabs are afriad of them ,,, otherwise if ur agressive and strong no one can do any thing ,,,, come ,well say welcum to u guys ..

I think everyone should hopefully feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and concerns no matter how incorrect. Meaning without being laughed at. I know many people on here are very knowledgeable due to having first hand experience, however, making a big move to a foreign country is a scary process. I have a feeling everyone had doubts and worries before they moved to Saudi Arabia especially.

On that note...can someone clarify the segregation at malls, etc. I read that for dining/eating there's a single section, that's only for males and a family section. So, what if I go to a mall without my husband and want to eat some where?!?!

Family section is Ladies section as well. It's not necessarily for families only. You'll find many ladies sitting alone or groups.

oooh, good to hear...thanks!

Compounds have there advantages as compared to normal house but they are lot more expensive, Some have been attacked by terrorist in past years but very rarely and now there is military guarding most almost all compounds.  Most good compounds have  basketball and football courts, pools and gym, The better compounds ones have better indoors ones and in better conditions. Woman can drive and walk around in compounds without abaya etc (most, not all).

Compounds can cost from 55000(Around that much green valley, Decent compound)-200000 (Oasis compound, Might be the best one) yearly for residence.

You have to sit segregated if the woman is not your spouse, sister, daughter etc. But if you go with some woman it's very unlikely they will ask for proof. You might not be able to go to malls without your wife, They might let you in if you explain that your wife is inside or something.

Depends on the neighborhood, Woman don't get harassed  easily in public or places where there are lot of people, People would come to rescue really fast. But would advice not to let her go to dark areas alone.

Sort of true. But It's like this, Some are nice saudi's but in government sectors they don't respectfully do things for asians easily, Outside it's rare for saudi's affecting life that much, You won't have to worry much about them since you have uk passport, Just sort of flash it when ever you can so they will treat you better.

It's a boring country but no taxes, things are fairly cheap to do here, Not much to do here, Really hot but you will get used to it. You can go to bahrain by getting exit rentry (200 for one time and 500 for 6 month unlimited visits), it will cost around 55 riyals if you take care, bahrain has cinemas, woman can go without abaya, you get the picture.

Best of luck.

By the way can you tell me the name of the school?

HI,

My family and I are thinking to move to Al Khobar, and I have a few questions.
My kids are going here in Venezuela to an international school (my children are Canadian/Venezuelan) I would like to know wish will be the best school for them in Al Khobar. We also live here in a nice big compound with swimming pools, tennis court, golf court, mini store and nice thing to do, I would like to live in a place like that in Al Khobar, wish compound will you recommend me?? I don't want to live in a small place, I don't want to feel claustrofophibic. I want a place were my 6 year old and my 8 year old feel happy with a lot of thing to do. About the schools, do they have school bus? or do we have to drive them? I know I can't drive there wish I don't mind ( I use to drive in Tripoli and it was crazy) but how do I get around?? to do groceries or some shopping? 
Well I can't think in another question at the moment but for sure I will later.
Saludos!