Taking my cat to Malta!

Hi guys!

I'm bringing my cat to Malta, she's had all of her vaccinations, has her passport etc.

I'm just a bit worried as to what to do when we get there, I'm hoping that she will be fine as an indoor cat but as she has been used to going outdoors I don't know if I should attempt to let her out?

Has anyone else taken a cat over? Have you let them out?

May seem like a silly question but any info would be great!

Thanks

Josie x

I brought two cats with me.  Both used to being outdoor cats.  They seemed to really enjoy the ferry despite being restricted to the cabin.  Once here we kept them in for a few weeks and then they went out.  Sadly, we have lost one of them but she was always a bit of a wanderer, she will not go hungry here tho, there are so many cat feeding stations.  The other one is fine, although remember, when the summer comes you will have the doors open so be prepared for her to be curious.  She should be fine is basically what I am trying to say.
x

Hi lucyanya,

Thanks for your reply! I feel a lot better about taking her now. I'm sure she'll be fine, she's quite a timid cat and doesn't really go far now, when she does go out it's not for long so hopefully she'll be the same over there. Roll on April, can't wait to get there now!

Thanks again x

Hi,

I've brought my two cats with me from US. The paperwork was hell, but the move was OK. They arrived in one piece, my super heroes. Adapted pretty quickly as well. They are indoor cats though. I was letting them outside a few years ago but couldn't stand the flees and worms.

Hey,

WHen it comes to letting your cat out to the street I'd be very careful. Depends on where you'll be staying, but the drivers are not very careful and some of them just don't care (I came across cases where they just speed up, especially at night in pacevile/swieqi sorrounding).

I am big cat lover and I happened to sweep a few cats from the street. Fortunately, mine are all good but I stopped letting them out and they have a terrace, but still they're happy.

I brought my cats FROM Malta to Germany and intend to take them back when I move to Malta. But I think I will try and keep them limited to like the courtyard and not let them out to wander.  The maltese are not too freindly with animals, they drive recklessly and apart from that with all the stray cats, they can catch a lot of diseases ( the cats, not the Maltese :) ). At least, make sure you have them vaccinated at all times.