What do you hate about living in Spain?

Good Morning to all you expats out in Spain.

Don't get me wrong, I love living in Spain, but some things get on my goat. Despite being in Seville for 7 years I still get treated like a guiri most places I go, the litter and dog poo drives me mad, the heat in the summer is unbearable, and of course 'the crisis.'

Was wondering what annoys you about Spain?

Have a look at my full blog here

teachingenglishinaforeignland.blogspot.com/2012/03/5-things-i-hate-about-living-in-spain.html

Cheers

Ha! This morning I am in the middle of a rant on facebook and my own blog, and I just happened to come across this.

I love Andalucia and have chosen to come and live here, but I wish I had had a clear picture of what the standard of living is like. I wish I had prepared myself for a "2nd" world country. I have been here a year and have had some places where this issue wasn't a problem. But half the places I've stayed in have had problems with or interruption of the two most basic essentials for living - hot water and a way of making hot tea. I can live without a car, without cool clothes, on lentils and rice, if I am low on money. I could share a room, sleep on the floor or in a hammock if I had to. But hot water and a way of making something hot to drink are not negociable. (I can live with everything else annoying about Andalucia - I've lived in China, after all)

I like my hot water to depend on pipes: one that goes through the wall and attaches to where my gas company sends the gas and one that continues on through to my stove and my shower; not on the addled mind of the landlady's daughter that didn't realise we were almost finished the 2nd "bonbon", and is obsessively mopping the floors with bleach, again.

Maybe I should go the hell back to Canada, and work at some kind of soul numbing job in our inhuman cities built for machines, until I have enough money to come back over here, towing with me a human sized hot water heater like every single apartment in Canada has, whether it is in a slum or a 7 million dollar house.

After many years of living in Spain there is one constant annoyance- mosquitos! 
No matter how much I spray ( and the good sprays are expensive) they always find a patch I have missed- and I am very allergic- so I get swelling, itching and soreness. Sometimes they even go sceptic.

A new annoyance too- with all the dry weather and long grass, my cats come home and bring two types of ticks - they bite and cause similar problems.  ( and can be dangerous as they can cause Lymes disease if infected with bacteria)
This is new in the last two years- I have never had this problem previously at the same casita for over 11 years.

What i hate about living in Spain is the bread for one thing if you dont eat it fresh then dont eat it at all.I also hate the fact that after 20 yrs here people still look at me as if to say what is she talking about.I hate the fact that there is never anything you need on head you have to wait a few days to get it.I could go on and on but hey whats the point the sun shines so that makes me happy.

Hi, I can not see your blog.
teachingenglishinaforeignland.blogspot.com/2012/03/5-things-i-hate-about-living-in-spain.html
It takes us to another place.

Yesss..one thing I hate is that trouble with hot water, at first got to wait a long while it gets hot and then I always finish with cold as well. I was used to take hot showers as long as I wanted. And cold floors in winter brrr 😬. I'm from a cold country, but our homes always warm and cozy inside.
The other thing which annoys me- websites! If they even exist, they often dont work properly and look like 10 years behind. Like how can u make a gym without having a proper website with prices, descriptions and photos🙃
Anyway I love my catalunya and still love that only "half a day good"bread ❤

Jeez. Most of these problems have easy solutions and they have nothing to do with Spain as a country!

I am a US expat who retired here about 9 years ago, but have lived here off and on since 1995. My favorite complaint about Spain over the years to friends back home was:
- In Spain you have to constantly watch for "dog mines" on the sidewalk, and graffiti is everywhere.  But in the US, my greatest worry was that my son would be murdered by a gang member or police officer on his way home from school, or that he would become a heroin addict. -

I think that puts things in perspective.  That was from 20 or so years ago. Since then, Alicante, where I live, passed a law that fines dog owner 300 Euros for not picking up dog waste left in public  and now I only occasionally find dog waste on the sidewalks. Graffiti is also less common.

Why not buy a water heater in spain? I don't understand your problem!  Water heaters are available everywhere, any size and they work very well!

Like you said, these « problems » seem petty compared to covid, poverty, etc...has very little to do with spain...***

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Human sized hot water heater, just spat my wine out laughing!