School in Durban

Dear all,
mid of 2012 I will move to Durban with my family.
For my children (6 and 9 years old) I am looking for a good private school.
Has anyone a good experience?

Thanks in advance
Nibri

Where abouts in Durban? Let me know and perhaps I can help you, Durban covers a huge area.

Kind regards
Patricia

Dear Patricia,
any help is highly welcome!
It's not yet clear where we'll live, depends on the school. My work will be south of the center, in the Merebank area.
We have a 6 year old son and a 9 year old girl and ideal would be a school that both could attend. So preferably no girl school / boy school. I fould the Thomas Moore school and tried to contact them, but is seems difficult. Looks as if they have waiting lists and also entrance tests.
Best regards,
Nibri

Welcome to my part of Durban I am on the Bluff and my husband works for Mondi Paper in Merebank....I suggest Our Lady of Natal on Marine Drive bluff if you call enquiries on 1023 they will give you the number just give them the whereabouts which will be Bluff Durban

Hopes this helps kind regards Patricia

Many thanks for your help. I will check.
Best regards,
Nibri

Hi,

Welcome to Durban!

Sadly, the good schools all do have a waiting list and an entrance exam is part of that process.

May I ask where you are coming from? I have lived internationally and the school year is different to South Africa. We start each year in January, and end early December. If you are an expat, the chances are you children will have completed your school year, but are half way thru ours. If this is the case, I recommend a level assessment also.

My kids did very well overseas, but when we come back, I let them redo the last 4+ months of the grade they have just passed instead of moving them into the grade they actually are in (As they will have missed 6 months already).

Also, we have many different sorts of schools. We have Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Muslim, etc etc schools. This is especially noticeable in the Private, more expensive schools. Some schools focus heavily on sports, others almost ignore it.

Where do you see your kids most happy? Perhaps with this, we can advise where to start. Where you live will be important too. Even the schools with long waiting lists tend to serve their immediate community first.

There are some excellent government schools too. However, you will need to be zoned to access them. (Living within that school zone). So, a lot will depend on where you live. Do you have any ideas on areas yet?

With best wishes,

Nicola

Dear Nicola,

I noticed already that it's difficult to get the children into the good private schools.

We are from Germany, but since some years living in Italy. Mid of 2012 we will tranfer, when the kids have finished school, 1st and 4th class. The idea is to let them complete also 1st and 4th class in South Africa.That's somehow a pitty, because they loose 6 months. On th other hand, repeating half of the class will give them some time to settle down and learn also English.

We thought on Westville, Cowies hill, Berea for living, but it all depends on the schools. I found in the internet the Thomas Moore school in which I am intersted. But entering will be difficult. Sports sound good for the kids and epecially when reading about Thomas Moore school I was really amazed what the offer as afternoon activities.

Let's see.
We'll go to a visit to Durban for some days and have a look.

Have a good weekend.
Best regards,
Nibri

Hi Again,

You have selected very good areas to live in. What about looking at Westville Public School too?
http://www.westville.k12.ok.us/

Also, the Real Estate Agents that will be helping you find a suitable home, will also know of the best schools in that area. Sometimes they may even have a contact for you.

Do you know about the Deutsche Schule in Durban (Cowies Hill)?
http://www.dsdurban.co.za/. This may be perfect for your kids.....

Let us know if this helps.

Warm Regards,

Nikki

Dear Nicola,

that was a really fast reply!

Indeed we thought on the German school in Cowies Hill as well and will have a meeting there. That sounds interesting and will would make a start easier for the kids. But we thought, if possible, when the kids would go directly into a local English speaking school of course the beginnig would be somehow hard, but after a while hey would be better integrated an know also English much better. There is always an advantage and a disadvntage.

But so far I did not hear about the Westville Public School. I wil check out. Thanks for this information.

Best regards,
Nibri