Teaching in Vietnam Questions

Hello All,

I have posted here before but figured I would give a quick run down on me again.

I am a Firefighter / Instructor and certified fire inspector over in Afghanistan at the moment doing contract work. I am a US expat. I have been to Vietnam a couple times already this past year and just left there a few days ago.

Recently I decided I need a career change. I love being an instructor and teaching people. Thing is I do not believe there is a large calling for fire instructors in Vietnam. So with that in mind I would love to teach English.

My predicament is I do not have a degree. I have been hearing that its not required in many places. I would like to receive training and a certification.

I have seen some schools in HCMC to receive certifications for teaching. My question I am asking is does anyone recommend which cert is the best one to get or a recommended school for me to go to in HCMC to get it ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You !!!

Chris

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the introduction.;)

Hope that other members will enlighten you.

Harmonie.

ESL or TESOL certifications. I believe they can be completed online too. I live by the American School of Vietnam in District 2 and on their website they have an open position for ESL teacher. You might want to contact them and ask them if they know where you might get  that certification, or if they have any recommendations on where to start. I believe there's a thread in the blog of a guy who's starting his own english teaching business too, he might also be a good contact for you.

Good Luck!

Teacher Mark wrote:
Chris NJ wrote:

Hello All,

I have posted here before but figured I would give a quick run down on me again.

I am a Firefighter / Instructor and certified fire inspector over in Afghanistan at the moment doing contract work. I am a US expat. I have been to Vietnam a couple times already this past year and just left there a few days ago.

Recently I decided I need a career change. I love being an instructor and teaching people. Thing is I do not believe there is a large calling for fire instructors in Vietnam. So with that in mind I would love to teach English.

My predicament is I do not have a degree. I have been hearing that its not required in many places. I would like to receive training and a certification.

I have seen some schools in HCMC to receive certifications for teaching. My question I am asking is does anyone recommend which cert is the best one to get or a recommended school for me to go to in HCMC to get it ?

Thank You !!!

Chris

5 years of experience can be used in lieu of a 4 year degree, for the work permit.  It really depends on the school and whether they want to accept the experience, instead of the university degree. 

You will need a teaching certificate, however.  Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you the school I'd go with, if I were in your situation.

!!!!!! There might be two different offices deciding, one is the school, the other, the local labor office.
There are still some requirements they love to see. No work permit = you are working illegal. If the school has a good employment + tax record, I am sure, they can support you with the paperwork, especially, if the papers are not so 100%.

Just be reminded, especially English teachers are the once targeted strongly by immigration, as there are plenty of culprits out.
Many of them public busting with the huge money they earn... and nobody has reported so far the consequences of what happen if there is no WP, when the inspection arrives.

l3ully wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:
Chris NJ wrote:

Hello All,

Thank You !!!

Chris

5 years of experience can be used in lieu of a 4 year degree, for the work permit.  It really depends on the school and whether they want to accept the experience, instead of the university degree. 

You will need a teaching certificate, however.  Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you the school I'd go with, if I were in your situation.

!!!!!! There might be two different offices deciding, one is the school, the other, the local labor office.
There are still some requirements they love to see. No work permit = you are working illegal. If the school has a good employment + tax record, I am sure, they can support you with the paperwork, especially, if the papers are not so 100%.

Just be reminded, especially English teachers are the once targeted strongly by immigration, as there are plenty of culprits out.
Many of them public busting with the huge money they earn... and nobody has reported so far the consequences of what happen if there is no WP, when the inspection arrives.

5 years of experience can be used in lieu of a 4 year degree, for the work permit.

Let me break this down for you Bully:

1.)  The government will accept 5 years experience FOR THE WORK PERMIT.

and

2.)  The school may not accept the experience, per THEIR HIRING POLICIES.

Chris, I know schools that would be chomping at the bit to hire you, considering your high level of experience. Don't buy into the pessimism that some feel a need to spread.

It is well possible, Saigon is different to NT. I am long enough here to confirm (and not an english teacher), not even two people receiving surely the same, if they are entering an office within two minutes. Its more like a russian roulette than possible to predict.

Thanks for the information everyone. I think I may have found a school to get my certification from. It costs around 1500 USD. That seems to be the going rate from what I have found. I will be back in HCMC in just over 3 weeks and class will begin in May. I have got a 3 month visa and I am sure I should be able to extend it and if not there is the old Cambodian run.
   The good thing is I already have a place to stay in D8 which is kind of far from D1 where the school is but I have a motor bike already. So that should not be a problem.

Teacher Mark.. Even though I have no English teaching experience do you think my experience would qualify?

I have some friends that teach now in HCMC. I am sure some are illegal and some are not. Not sure what the consequences are for being illegal but I have come to realize that $$ seems to help that out.

Thanks Again Everyone !!

Chris

You're a veteran, correct? 

Regardless, you have taught firefighting techniques, life-saving measures, etc.  You've also been highly trained in classroom management techniques, giving blocks of instruction, keeping up your appearance, yada, yada, yada.  You also have an immense amount of experience in the art of dealing with utter stupidity, unless I'm mistaken.  That'll come in handy here.

You've also lived in a foreign country, so longevity shouldn't be an issue.  You'll be selling all of these points to a hiring manager, or owner, at some point in the future.  Add a teaching certificate and you have enough to make them think about hiring you, BA/BS be damned!  That would be for one of the decent jobs, not one at a run of the mill language school.  I know enough about you already to assure you that one of those outfits would hire you, at a wage of $12-$20 per hour.  I think you can command a contract of $1600-$2400 a month, over 10 months, at one of the "international" schools.

My military experience has been far more valuable than my university degree or teaching certificate.  I've been a leader of men, now I'm a leader of students.

Again, pay no mind to the Chicken Little crowd.  Come, see and conquer!