Single, young and moving to Bangalore! Help?

Hey everyone! I'm considering a move to Bangalore in the next few months for a great career opportunity. I'm coming over to work with a friend who lives there, so I've heard "his side" of living there. But I am curious to hear about other people's experiences.

I'm from Canada, so I suppose you could say I'm used to a relatively 'comfortable' lifestyle. That said, I'm not too hard to please as long as I have a decent toilet and electricity. Just wondering what kind of salary 151,000 Rs is, and if I'll be able to afford semi-comfortable accommodation downtown while being able to save some money as well.

Also, just any tips anyone might have for somebody like me just packing up my life here and moving over there. I do like to go out and have a good time every now and then, and wouldn't mind traveling around a bit and discovering some of the more spiritual aspects of the culture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

I wish you could have a red identity rather blue. You would find a vast range of friends who come in a big number. I wish...

Hi !!! I have just joined your forum. I am new in the city. I have just taken a house at Whitefield and I will be staying there on April. Rigth now in hotels.

I am also single and young (only 41...:P) and I would like to meet people to go out with and have some fun.

So hope we can meet soon.

Naren.

You said your salary is Rs 151,000 per annum? I hope not. But if it is you might have tough time saving something back for you.

-Akshay.

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to Bangalore, in advance :) Bangalore is definitely a nice city to be in (I may claim it to be the best city in India ;) ). If you are earning 150,000 a month, you can lead an excellent life here. But if you are talking per annum, I would ask you to reconsider your choice. That amount is definitely not sufficient for a good life here, unless you have some other perks available.

I am a travel freak, and I have Canadian buddies, so you can count me in if it occasional traveling (of course, we need to meet first). For the spiritual aspect, you will definitely find a lot of beautiful temples and places of worship, around in Bangalore and surrounding places.

I think that you will have to experience most of it after coming here.

Hope this helps a bit.

- Cheers,
  Karthik

Hey guys! Thanks for the input, its greatly appreciated! Yeah its about 150,000 per month. I read that income tax there is around 39%, so after taxes I'm looking at 91,000. Is that number still enough to live comfortably there and save do you think?

Hey :)

I don't know for your case but I've a great surprise with my wages : it is a withholding income tax so my wages were already without the income tax ... maybe it can be the same for you ?

And you have to check because 39% seems quite a lot (I've read that it's progressive but the highest rate is 30%).

Regards,

I am not sure about the tax percentage. But even if you have 90K at the end of the month, you can live pretty lavishly for a bachelor :)

HY !

My name is Maud, I'm in Bangalore since 3 days and I don't have any appartment! I begin my internship on Tuesday and I will work a lot it's the reason why I will can't help you to visit India.

If you can give me the contact of your friend maybe he will can help me to find a flatshare ? it will be perfect !

When do you arrive in Bangalore ?

Thank you for your help !

Bye !

Detailed break up of income tax slabs:
0-200,000 : No tax
200,000 - 500,000 - 10% tax
500,000 - 1,000,000 - 20% tax
1,000,000 + - 30% tax.

Hope that helps.

flat 30 % tax

Great thanks a lot for the help everyone!

Please excuse my ignorance if this isn't true, but I've heard that its difficult to get fresh fruits and vegetables in India. I dont know if this is particularly true in Bangalore or not, but I was just curious...

Fresh canadian fruits and vegetables ?

Otherwise I never had any problem finding fresh fruits and vegetables on markets, streets or supermarkets.

you ll get every thing fresh here no need to worry

Hello Shroom,

Just Relax, In Bangalore you will get almost everything in 5 min.s walkable distance from a Residential Layout even otherwise you will find it max 10- 15 min.s drive. It depends on where you going to stay.

The only thing expats will have difficulty is traffic, noise, pollution & Clubbing & if you are a lady lot of charmers, apart from beggars pestering you. It's advisable to take public transport (Red Volvo air conditioned buses)

If you take Auto (3 wheeler) they will rip you off since you are a foreigner. Don't get carried away by road side vendors trying to sell you things. Dont move around after 11 pm in isolated places alone.

Be slow to make local friends & do things slowly till you understand the system & place how it works here. Ask few trusted locals before you jump into anything. Rest the place is great for career & learning. The experience you gain here will change you for sure. YOu will be a stronger person with lot of management & business ideas when you go back.

Hope this helps. Sorry I am not being rude, but this is what most expats dont know. Have a great stay

Regards,
Shashangan

Well said Shashangan!
I've recently moved to Bangalore from Canada too on a work assignment, and I echo all that you've said.  I'm loving it so far despite it being a bit of an adjustment from Canadian living.  But its a great experience to see the world and learn so much!
So I'm looking to meet up with other expats or anyone who enjoys the outdoors and sports...specifically looking for some place to play volleyball and soccer...anyone have any info on that?

@Ronson - You are slightly off topic. Kindly start a new thread on the Bangalore forum concerning outdoors sports. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hello All,

After spending lots of time in swiss , i came to Bangalore i have mix kind of experience here  . If you guys are planning something (party , adventure tours )you can count me . :)

Durgesh

Hey ;)

Always in for a meet up ... Se come on, let's plan something ^^

Hey Jeff,the post is a wee bit old but I am wondering,did you ever make the move as its something that I am also thinking about doing but I not as young at 54yrs old but single....... Alan in Calgary