Entertainer in the hotels

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to move to Mauritius and work as an entertainer in the hotels. I perform a highly professional "Frank Sinatra & The Rat pack Tribute Show".

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who I would need to speak to or just let me know what hotel Groups I could contact over there?

Thanks
Dale

Hello Dale and welcome to Expat.com!

You could maybe post an advert in the Jobs section of Mauritius classifieds, it may help.;)

Hope that other members will enlighten you too.

Harmonie.

The question that springs to mind is, if I was going to Mauritius on holiday, would I want to be entertained by the local musicians showing off the local music, or a Frank Sinatra tribute act?

This is perhaps also a question the hotel entertainment manager would ask, I know a few and asked one or two and apart from special requests or occassions, they would rather stick with local talent.  Obviously I only asked a small number and they could be different from the rest...

I know some of the Big Tourist Hotels have different themed evenings, i.e. local music night, Comedy night, Tribute nights, so think you need to contact all the Big hotels on the Island, I am sure you would find a few interested in your act.

Just google: Hotels in Mauritius - there are lots :)

Good Luck

Rosiewestie wrote:

I know some of the Big Tourist Hotels have different themed evenings, i.e. local music night, Comedy night, Tribute nights, so think you need to contact all the Big hotels on the Island, I am sure you would find a few interested in your act.

Just google: Hotels in Mauritius - there are lots :)

Good Luck

Yes, best of luck, a 7-piece local band is paid around Rs1000 each per person (a little more than 20 pound sterling).  You would need to secure enough gigs to apease the immigration that you are actually a performing musician with pre-planned gigs otherwise you would need to apply for a work permit (the law changed a few years back and musicians do not need a work permit BUT you need to be coming here for a specific gig(s) so you would need to arrange these beforehand).  All this needs to be prepared before you arrive here.  Don't forget, you wouldn't get free accomodation as you could only work in one hotel a week because of the existing variety of entertainment.  I don't have as much experience as some people clearly claim to have with hotels, I have only performed in 3 of them on special occasions but hey, what do I know...!