Yacht Charters

Hello

Does anyone have any information on chartering a crewed yacht in Malta? Are there many people that do this sort of thing and is it popular with tourists?

We are looking at either one or 2 couples being taken out for a days sailing with facilities for snorkelling and lunch based on a 4 to 5 star level ie high end market.

Thanks

Hi justine,

there are many yachts in Malta and many for charter aiming at the high end market.

I was looking at it last year and I consider myself quite high-end but at around 100 €/person for a day out to the Blue Lagoon with 6-8 friends to snorkel and have fun the fees asked for are just too high.Check out websites and you will see what is offered.

I and other friends charter local low-end boats for a day to the lagoon. They take up to 20 passengers and take you to any bay you want around Gozo and Comino so we pay around 10-15 €/person for the day.

I really can't assess the market you are looking at! It might be there but maybe not and I'm fairly sure you cannot make a living out of it by having trips every week.

If you send me your boat details and what you are considering to ask for moneywise through private message  I will give you my personal opinion .

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Ricky

We are not looking at doing mass market type charters where it becomes a party boat, but more the elite style where it is fine dine and private on a luxury 37 to 40 ft yacht.

There are a couple of charter companies on Google that are charging around 450 to 500 euros a day for up to 4 people along with crew but I think lunch is extra. 

It does not appear that the market is flooded like the Caribbean and if the product is marketed well then people will pay the money if they feel they are getting something special.

I just wondered if there was anyone on the forum who actually has first hand knowledge of running a yacht themselves to get a better idea of what to expect.

A couple of charters per week over the Summer season would be ideal.

Thanks
Justine

Hi Justine,

I know what you are looking at.

I just don't think that the market with 1-3 charters /week actually exists for the number of nice yachts available in Malta.

Maybe I'm wrong ! Try contacting one of the agencies. I'm sure they can give you a better assessment of the risks/chances of the business.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Justine,

today I talked to a friend who was out repairing his powerboat that he uses to take tourists out for fishing trips.

He told me that the private cruise market is a difficult one. You will need a licence that are only issued in very limited numbers and are connected to having a commercial mooring spot which are not available in Marsamxett harbour. Ones in Portomaso or at the Msida seafront or Manoel island will be expensive.

He would not advise trying it without a licence as all boat owners are on the lookout and would be on the phone with the authorities immediatly!

Regards
Ricky

Hello, maltadaycharters.com  offer Skippered Yacht Cjarters in Malta