Moving to Singapore

Hi everybody,

Singapore is said to be a good introduction to Asia. What do you think about it?

Is it complicated to settle down in Singapore? Is it complicated if you don't speak the local language? What about the culture shock?

Did you get a job there? Are accomodations expensive?

All the best,

Julien

Hey there,

I could probably help with one question being Singaporean myself . Most of us speak English. Its the medium of instruction in schools.

Well, Singlish to be precise - ( said half in jest) English with our local brand of colloquialisms =)

Jean

Singapore is a good stepping board to Asia due to its cosmopolite environment, IT infrastructure and racial & religious harmony. However, some feel uncomfortable because of its reputation of being a country that seems to have lots of rules and regulations.  Having lived here all my life, I enjoy the rules as it gives me a lot of security and assurance that no mischief is lurking around. Of course, we still have petty theft but I am happy to hear from my expat friends that they felt safe walking in the streets at night after a party.  Culture shock is not really an issue for my expat friends as they are pretty open to new ways of living and with this mindset, they are actually enjoying the out of their home country experience.  Singaporeans are also very open to foreign cultures, especially the young working professionals whose colleagues and superiors also include foreign talents.  So, if you are in Singapore, I think you need only to make friends with your local colleagues and find it easier to fit in.

Dear friends,
I just read your replys & views to Julien.
I myself is very keen on migrating to Singapore.
I have been associated with Airlines & Travel Industry since 1992.
Now searching out better openings at Singapore.
What amount is required to live a normal Life for a Hubby/Wife n 2 year young child?
And what is the standard average minimum take-home salary structure.

Just to share with you, my second option is settling in China, but Singapore remains 1st Love.

Do give in your valuable comments, they would really help me in my plans.
With warm wishes,
- Yp -