Building a dwelling in Ecuador

Hello everyone.  I am very thankful that the internet allows people with like-minded ideas to connect on such a broad level!  It is truly fantastic.

Without going too much into detail with my own plans, I am curious if anyone has bought land in Ecuador and constructed their own home, or had a contractor do the work.

I have read prices around $30/square foot for a modestly finished home and about $50 or $60/square foot for a more luxury finished type of home.

I am wondering if anyone on this board has bought land and did most of the labour themselves.  If so I am very curious as to what struggles and problems you faced while doing so. 

I am very interested to hear what it is like to find building materials, as I imagine it's a little different than going to a big place like Home Depot here in Canada.

I thank you for your time in advance!  Keep living the dream :)

One thing about construct your own home in Ecuador, here they use concrete and iron estrctures, no wood like in the states.

Vinny

Hello Vinny,

As I understand it, most of the world constructs with iron and concrete.  I believe the states use wood because of potential earthquake problems.  In Canada we utilize wood for small homes (although nowadays newer homes are doing steel studs and iron supports), and our law states that a condo type building with more than 5 stories also must not be wood. 

I was actually planning more of an earthbag or earth home type of dwelling.  I should have worded my post better, but I think my biggest obstacle would be acquiring tools that I am familiar or used to here in Canada. 

What kind of tool supply stores do they have down there?

Hello,

You can find any kind of tools here and main brands like Bosch, Stanley, DeWalt.....
In fact I was helping a canadian guy three weeks ago while he was visiting Cuenca and he had the same interest as you, we visited some stores and he was please with the tools he found.

Vinny

Thanks for the information Vinny it is greatly appreciated.

That sets my mind at ease definitely.  Just as a benchmark of prices, an 18v dewalt or makita drill can be had from $50-$400 here in Canada depending on the make of the drill and voltage.  Just curious how similar the prices are so I know what to expect.  I have all the tools I would ever need in Canada but I imagine the shipping costs would be more than just buying the select few tools I need once I am in Ecuador.

Could you elaborate on some of the prices you saw while helping that Canadian?  Also do the same stores that sell tools sell building supplies like lumber and concrete as well?  Similar to Canada?

Hi torque,

About tools in Ecuador, I've read on many expat forums that even though you will find the same tools, it will be somewhat harder (they are not at every corner like in Canada) but especially more expensive.  All posts I've read (about 5 or 6) were suggesting to bring what tools you have.

I'm interested in your project if and when you get it done.  Building our own place is something my wife and I will consider once we've moved.

cheers

For sure Torque... once you build I would love to see it too. We are going this summer to explore living/building/retiring and I would be very interested in what you come up with! Good luck with your endeavors!!