Trouble with a vet or cultural misunderstanding?

The other day, my friend found an injured puppy in Midan Square.
People said that it was hit by a car half an hour or so. She called me and we tried to take the puppy to the nearest vet.
I called Animal Friend, but their ambulance was far away, and their place is not near to Midan Square.
I found one in Zamalek and called the vet to explain the situation. He told me to bring the puppy. After telling this to my friend I called the vet to tell him that the dog was heading to his place. Then he told me he was out of the clinic, but would return in 40 minutes. He said he'd tell his assistant to prepare for an operation. "Wait for me in the clinic!", said he.
40 minutes was a long time when the situation is life or death. But after failing to contact with other two vet near to the place, we decided to choose this vet. We said many times that we'd pay for the treatment. The vet kindly told us not to worry about payment now.
When my friend reached this clinic after 15 minutes or so, she found the assistant got no call from the vet, so no preparation was made. He told my friend that the vet in Tanta today, so it would take 90 minute or more to come here. When my friend called the vet, the vet asked the assistant how the puppy looked. The assistant answered without any medical checkup, like taking temperature or touching the body of the puppy. Then the vet told my friend, "it was all over with the dog, so what do you want?" What do we want? saving its life, of course, if there is even 1% possibility...
It was more than causing anger and disappointment, but we didn't want to waste time with this vet. We went to another vet in Zamalek. When the other vet began to check the puppy, more than 3 hours had already passed since the accident.  Its temperature was 34.5. Two hours after using the heatpad, the temperature became 37. The following morning it was 38.
But the puppy died two days later. He suffered from concussion and bad fracture in jaw and severe hit on the throat and the chest.
Well, the injury seems too bad to save its life. From his experience, the first vet and his assistant may have thought that the puppy can't be helped.

But still I don't think the first vet's attitude is professional or conscientious. If he couldn't come, he should have told us to go to other vet immediately from the beginning. He was wrong to tell us that he would tell his assistant to prepare an operation, which in actuality he didn't do.
The clinic was [Moderated] in 32 Yahiya Ibrahim Street in Zamalek.
I may misunderstand the situation. But I just report what happened. I'll leave judgement to readers.

Try to reach ESMA they will help you in seconds
They are in facebook

Search ESMA and SPARE too.

Thank you for your comment. I wrote similar thing in the facebook of Animal Friends (ESMA) to ask if the vet's behavior is ordinary here or not. Frankly, I didn't expect comments from Egyptian people so much.

Don't be shocked
But I swear me and an expat friend before used to go to rescue cats from far different places and take them back to ESMA in Giza, only because we care.
Some Egyptians really do care about pets even street animals too.
Bless you

Thank you.
:)

don moe, sadly not all of your fellow countrymen and women are as enlightened as you when it comes to animals. There are a lot of people here that do not understand animals and treat them poorly and thank you for helping Toshamina.

Toshamina, next time you need help in an animal, please contact ESMA and not Animal Friends.

Karena wrote:

don moe, sadly not all of your fellow countrymen and women are as enlightened as you when it comes to animals. There are a lot of people here that do not understand animals and treat them poorly and thank you for helping Toshamina.

Toshamina, next time you need help in an animal, please contact ESMA and not Animal Friends.

Thanks Karena for your kind words
Yesterday in Hurghada there was a bad situation with horses in private stable and owner was dead!
So they needed need and food,bla bla bla
We as a group collected donations and posted in all facebook animal groups and charity concerning this issue
Now they are safe thank God :)
I was used to have pets since my birth, almost all kind of pets,even in street when I see a cat or even a dog I make my car in the waiting sign in order for them to cross which is funny for some citizens and mostly the others get pissed off me :D
Anyway to contact. ESMA and S.P.A.R.E is much better and easier for all

Sorry for my long post.

Good luck.

Thank you, Karena, for your advice. I'll tell my friend about ESMA.
Thank you, don moe, for your advice and efforts for animals.
There are so many things to be done for animals in Egypt.
When I saw ESAF (Egyptian Society of Animal Friends) facebook, someone posted her difficult situation. " أنا ساكن في التجمع الخامس في منطقة الشويفات ويوجد ما يقرب من حوالي ٥٠ كلب بلدي يجولون في المنطقة" More than 50 stray dogs living in her area (5th Compoumnd in El-Shawiyfaat??), so the residents are afraid of them. The number increased from 20 to 50 for the past two months. Unfortunately, there is almost no concept of TNR here, and almost no devices to catch such dogs... So no wonder in some area local governments began to poison stray dogs....I feel pain for people and for dogs...

Its true that people are some times afraid from street dogs
In Alexandria from 2 days a dog injured 81 citizen! Am not kidding at all
News written over the web

So who will think of TNR...? local governments? I don't think so. Also, so many animal welfare associations are busy with rescuing badly treated animals or pets thrown by owners. Each of us is busy to earn living. I see no hope.

Yes I have heard about the terrible horse problem today and glad that many people have volunteered to help, there are animal problems all over Egypt which really saddens me, like you Don, I have been brought up with animals all my life, even now I have my wonderful dog Precious and have just adopted a lovely baby kitten of the street. Let them get pissed off with you when you help an animal, wish more people was like you. I get funny looks when I rescue any animal of the street but I don't give a damn.  No need to apologise for the long post and your welcome Toshamina for any advice and I feel pain for any animal that is abused.

Good job for places like ESMA, SPARE and Continental Rescue for the horses they all do a marvellous job.  I am always aware of the strays but hamdullah I have not come across any vicious ones and you have to be so careful because of rabies.

I adopted a cat from an expat in the forum already, plus my own cat :)
I remember a situation when me and my friend went to rescue a cat it was in mohandeseen and we were at my area in maadi we went around 3:30 am, and kept on searching for the cat as a girl posted the address but not in details she only said,the kitten is outside a garden under a big tree :D but by luck we found her.
Plus my small boy who's 3 years now! Before he used to run after the cats and may catch them from their tail and u can imagine what more! And I yell at him,but my ex wife she was syrian so she didn't care that much about cats used not to punish him nor give him time out!
But after divorce I used to take him to pet shops and the zoo in giza plus thafrican park near alexandria to show him all kind of animals and in the same time I teached him to papmer them and to feed them in a nice way
Now he will run behind them in order to feed them in their mouth by his hand :D and will even kiss them :D
So what's important is to give ourself 5 minutes per day to teach our kids the value of animals,the nature & the environment around us.

Wish you and your child & your pets happiness and good health :)

how we will care about animals in healthy matters,when the government doesnt take care well of the human:)

Ahmed, I well understand what you are saying, but as an individual, we can all do our little bit to help the animals, humans have voices to express their feelings, animals do not.

you are right but what you are saying now,wont be real culutre in the mind of the people until they have first good life ,then they will start to care about  the animal life, and thats right!!