Getting a driving license in Belgium.

Well,
I'm 30, male and as you can see by the title of the topic very lazy!

I had a provisional car license(many moons ago) and can drive, but I am very rusty, In addition I have held a bike license ( also provisional's )and had been riding on and off for almost 10 years until I came to Belgium.
I am now in a position to get back on the road and I was hoping someone could recommend me a driving school in either the Brussels area or Limburg that can cater for both car and bike lessons in English.
(Somewhere that would give a discount for both would be nice, if not a little unrealistic :D )
I think I'll be ok for the bike test but I will NEED to take the car lessons, but I do know that they are both mandatory to an extent.

Also, any tips on buying a bike over here, ( I won't be buying a car as the Boss has kindly agreed to do that for me :) )
What I'll need to get/do
Registration and Insurance Etc.

Thanks in advance ExPats!

You could check out these guys for driving lessons;

http://www.learncar.be/en/index.html

I believe the crack over here is that you have to sit the theory test first to get your provisional licence and then you can either get a provisional which lasts 18 months (if you're getting driving lessons through a driving school) or a 36 month provisional licence when driving accompanied with someone who has held a Belgian driving licence for at least eight years.

balesy1974 wrote:

I believe the crack over here is that you have to sit the theory test first to get your provisional licence and then you can either get a provisional which lasts 18 months (if you're getting driving lessons through a driving school) or a 36 month provisional licence when driving accompanied with someone who has held a Belgian driving licence for at least eight years.

Cheers for that!
Disregard the PM I just sent you

Too late, I've just PM-ed you some further information. :|

Does the EU driving license (Greek) have value there?I made little researche and if l understand well yes.Mu husband have A,B,C and now considering to take E so l hope he will not need to take Belgian license also because he comeing there to try to find driver job!

natalija wrote:

Does the EU driving license (Greek) have value there?I made little researche and if l understand well yes.Mu husband have A,B,C and now considering to take E so l hope he will not need to take Belgian license also because he comeing there to try to find driver job!

Hi Natalija,
I am pretty sure that any European member state Driving license is recognised in any member state.
Your husband 'may' need to exchange it for a Belgian license but that should be the only issue.

Thanks Jemmy :)

Jemmy12, exchanging driving licences between EU countries is not as straightforward as you believe. For example, I had several classes of vehicles I could drive in the UK, when I exchanged my UK licence for a Belgian one, some classes of vehicles were removed. As Natalija is asking about particular classes of vehicles and transfering them, the one piece of advice I have is that here is NOT the place to ask. The place to ask is the Belgian authorities which issue Belgian licences.

brussels.angloinfo.com/countries/belgium/drivlicence.asp
and
brussels.angloinfo.com/countries/belgium/exlicence.asp

I know for this web site and so according to this he do not need to excange his license.

EU nationals living in Belgium MUST exchange their licences, though in reality many do not. But if you are stopped by the Police, you are going to have a pretty good reason to explain why you haven't done it. So Natalija, you need to check with the Balgian authorities if ALL categories of your Greek licence are exchangeable or if some categories will not be honoured. No good asking that specific question here.

Jemmy12 wrote:
balesy1974 wrote:

Cheers for that!

i can confirm that the above qutote about theory tests is true

hannahhadman wrote:
Jemmy12 wrote:
balesy1974 wrote:

Cheers for that!

i can confirm that the above qutote about theory tests is true

one last question before I commit and go for the theory test..
The driving whilst accompanied thing, Is this limited to one specific driver or can I have anyone with a license for the stated years accompany me (for instance, I have a few friends who are willing to let me take their car out)

Thanks again lads and girls

Yes but you do have to undergo an amount of lessions with a driving school

Also make sure ur covered by car insureance

hannahhadman wrote:

Good stuff,
I'll talk with them and see how it works to get cover.
The last thing I want is to lose my license before I even have it :-)

Yeah but be warned insureance is a joke here they quoted me over a grand here for basic and i pay 750 in uk for full cover

Does someone maybe know is CPC must for truck drivers????

Hi all
I am moving from Canada to Belgium in the summer. Will my driver's license be accepted? What do I have to do in order to drive there?
Thanks in advance :)

Not sure about acceptance of Canadian licences, ask the Belgian embassy in Ottawa, or phone the Canadian embassy in Brussels - but state you are MOVING to Belgium, not just on holiday. I suspect Canada might be a country where you have to re-take your test if moving here.

Dose anyone know more about once u import your car and the car tax. I have been told they will contact me but unsure thanks

Jemmy12 wrote:
hannahhadman wrote:

Good stuff,

Also i found out the other day u need to take 10 hours of driving with an instustor and then after about 4 months u may take a test with praticeing with a friend. However it cost my bf around 700 euros for his 10 hours

hannahhadman wrote:
Jemmy12 wrote:
hannahhadman wrote:

Good stuff,

Also i found out the other day u need to take 10 hours of driving with an instustor and then after about 4 months u may take a test with praticeing with a friend. However it cost my bf around 700 euros for his 10 hours

True,
if you take 20 hours with a school you are allowed to drive alone on your provisional (certain times are excluded) until you take the practical test.
I've still not got around to gettin a license sorted out as I just haven't got the spare funds for the lessons. Thank God for the Vacation cheque coming next month :-P

Oh okies hes only taking 10 hours with a driving school and his dads doing the rest but he has to wait 4 months before he can test

I have a Belgian license and could drive in Greece. Why would it be different here? Answer: licences issued within the EU are valid within EU.

Yeah they dont have to be changed if ur from eu(acording to my bfs mum who works in city hall) However its best to register them as if it gets lost or stolen its easier to get a replacement

But anyway information is a little contradictry I actually had the same thing when importing my car to get my cert of conformity. The import office said i could get one from belgium and the car garage from uk lol

hi,

is there  anyone who know about  any school in Belgium where it is possible to become an instructor teaching people  to drive a car ??

rgds  frank

Do you speak French, Dutch or German?

i passed my theory exam and i got my provisional licence of 36 months but i cannot drive well . and i want to take 20 hours lessons and want to drive alone .
can i change my belgium driving licence from 36 months to 18 months

I was sent a British fixed penalty for speeding last year. The GB Magistrates Courts office has instructed me to send in both the paper and plastic parts of my driving license for the 3 points to be added. I have informed them that I would then be driving illegally in Belgium, to which they replied that that would be my choice, they are not compelling me to drive without carrying a driving licence.
I shall try re-registering my GB Driving License at the gemeente, and try to obtain some sort of receipt. Then I shall send off my 2-part License to the GB Magistrates.

I might as well investigate obtaining a Belgian driving license whilst I am at the gemeente. It would probably be easier in the long term.

Hey what's up guys
  I stay in Germany and I have germany truck license right , I already did 140 hours for the CPC course , and now I need to do the test. But here in germany I can only do this test in Germany n I don't understand deutsch . Can I do it in belgum . Any advice ll be great help to me thx mates