House prices in Mauritius

Been going thru house and flat prices in Mauritius and in my opinion they are sky high... have a hard time beliving that any of the citizens are paying 15-30miljon MUR for a normal home..

If there are some hints of normal priced please send a link to me.

THX

Mauritius is indeed an expensive place. I had been there as a tourist and stayed in Calodyne resort for 7 days.

Anyways, which part of mauritius are you looking forward to stay? Port Louis or towards the southern part?

ChristianFromFinland wrote:

Been going thru house and flat prices in Mauritius and in my opinion they are sky high... have a hard time beliving that any of the citizens are paying 15-30miljon MUR for a normal home..

THX

As a foreigner  ( I believe that your spouse is not Mauritian), you have only two options and they are expensive: IRS and RES

http://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/fore … 7.html#147

Hi,

Mauritius is indeed damn expensive!!! Maybe u cn take  look @ express property online n contact some agents to find u houses within your budget!

i am an belgian married with an mauritian and know mauritius is only expensive when you follow the toerist way if you want to stay as a non resident you can do this for 6 months a year and when you want normal to even low prices i can help you to get appartment are even house.best place to live in non toeristic place is in the south verry save and friendly areas.

External wrote:

THX

As a foreigner  ( I believe that your spouse is not Mauritian), you have only two options and they are expensive: IRS and RES

http://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/fore … 7.html#147

External is indeed spot on.
Property for foreigners is expensive as you can buy only under the IRS and RES schems and prices for these are appalllingly high IMO.
We were able to buy at a reasonable price as my husband is Mauritian.
Daisy

(moderated: no free ads please)

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

hi christian
as u are stranger u must be find in the irs and res system the goverment  put for stranger ,house is about rs 2 million or 3 million for mauritian citizen

val

THX

plse contact me as a friend who can help you finding a cheaper place to live...

give me your email ad because i cant do advertising

Yes, I confirm, prices have become mad.

Even if you're married with a local. My Mauritian wife and myself are settling in La Gaulette and land and house prices have skyrocketted here... we managed to find a big, nice house with a big garden and a very good sea view eventually - but it didn't come cheap.

I was discussing with a real estate agent and she told me the market is in a sad state. The prices are very high and the market is blocked but the owners just don't care. They put their overinflated, pricey houses on the market and if it doesn't sell well... they're not in a rush.

As for IRS / RES, forget about them unless you actually want to live in there. They are completely overpriced. Because they're targetted for foreigners, your potential market for resale is very small, so unless you acquire the most exclusive ones you'll have a hard time getting rid of them.

And because more and more IRS / RES are getting built, don't count on making a profit on the resale : why pay more for a used house when you can get a brand new one for the same price - or cheaper?

IRS / RES constructors will make you think the house will pay for itself by renting it out, but funnily enough none of them are selling packages with a guaranteed income insurance...

That being said, since the 9th of November, if you're a foreigner living in Mauritius, you have the right to purchase a non IRS / RES appartment so long as it's in a building. That's something to consider if you don't mind living in an appartment, and prices are somewhat more reasonable there.

Dear Sir,

I read your comments and agree with some points, the prices are becoming crazy, some "promoters" find a way how to make money but actually they are not selling at those mad prices...
you should go on express property and have a look of all projects and make the differnce you can find some program with real good price, but it depends what is your budget,how much you consider it's normal and good price price etc...(200,300,400 euros???)
In fact there are some offer with rental guarantee fee and some other advantages like free holidays in your villa while earning your rent etc...
In the other hand, if the acquisition prices with resident permit would be so low, there will be a real big problem for mauritian people to get a house or land.
For appartments it is really a choice, and they specially based in town not on the coastal region.
I can give you a website and you can have a look if you wish,
[Moderated]
This project is the best value market actually which answer to most of the needs and wants...

Wish you a Good Day

I took a look at your site and yes the villas do look nice. Here's a few comments though.

1 - Price. 460K + 25,000 USD transfer tax - ouch. Is it furnished?

2 - Location. Seems lost in the middle of nowhere in cap malheureux. Usually estate agents use the term "in a lush environment" to really mean "in the middle of nowhere" :-)

3 - Financing. What are the options available? No hints on your website. Plus interest rates are super-high in Mauritius.

4 - Your site mentions guaranteed rental income. How much? Backed up by which insurance company? What are the fixed costs?

5 - Finally, it looks very much like Oasis style. It's nice if you don't mind living in a box (i.e. the garden is surrounded by walls).