The worst dust storm i have ever seen in Riyadh

I remember the last one too, but this one is the worst; that also without any civil defense notifications.

Stay safe and take care Riyadians!!!

Will upload a short video shortly.

Well, we knew it was going to happen because of its being a windy day...

I'm home, safe and sound.  But strangely, I feel like going out.. kind of like how one feels at home during a snow storm!

Here is a short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XqtphWrJSg

Off my office gate across Riyadh gallery mall.

It was pitch dark around 3:00 pm. Then followed by an orange haze. Clearing up now. Lets hope we can get home in peace by 6pm at least?

It was an excellent experience !!!

And then it was followed by rain. :)

and all the streets are flooded...

I was out in that rain and it rained down sand--had brown drops all over my clothing.  Had to do a load of wash when I got home!

it was crazy dark around 4:15-ish pm. I was at khurais road driving to my office and all I was able to see was brake lights in front of me.

The rain got me too at 6 pm. Managed to get home dry by 7. phew!

TheLegendLeads wrote:

I remember the last one too, but this one is the worst; that also without any civil defense notifications.

I don't know which sand storm is the last one you meant, but I've witnessed a worse one about three years ago. I was driving coming back from the third Industrial city and receiving phone calls from friends saying how closer the storm was getting and at what exit on the ring road it reached. It was like a mountain moving rapidly turning the very clear sky to very sandy. I could only see the taillights of the cars that were only 30 meters ahead. I was in my car with the windows and vents firmly closed and I could feel the sand between my teeth and in my eyes. That was something that Riyadh hadn't witnessed for 37 years then.

adverse weather causes many schools/work places to close and its a great excuse to take the day off work... does this work with sand storms?

employer: why didnt you come into work?
me: there was a sand storm
employer: so?
me: well the sand got in my eyes and i just couldnt navigate my way here. *rubs eyes?* .. can you see sand in there still? :blink: