LIVING,LEARNING LANGUAGE

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice from your good selves, I hope you can help :)

I've always had a desire to learn another language, in particular spanish. I've tried a few times via self tuition and distance learning courses but have found it difficult to juggle work and studies, so I've never quite managed to get things off the ground. :(

However, despite not making much progress so far (I would categorise myself as moderately better than an absolute beginner) I still have an ambition and interest in improving my spanish skills. So much so that I am toying with the idea of moving, living and hopefully at some point working in SPAIN.

Obviously, as I don't speak the language I would need to get a better grasp before I can even consider applying for work etc. However, with no real ties (single, no kids, no mortgage etc.) I am all for enrolling in an intensive 6/8 week course at somewhere..

My question therefore is: would I stand any real chance of getting a job (even if it required only a basic grasp of Spanish, if there are such jobs) after an intensive course? Is it a realistic goal or am I just kidding myself that it's attainable?

Also, even if it is realistic, is it the best way to go about it? My ultimate aim and reason why I want to move to Spain and learn the language, is a combination of gaining life experience, widening my horizons and adding to my skills. But, if it's not a good idea I'd rather not quit my job and spend a fair amount of money if I then end up moving back home after 2 months.

Any replies would be really appreciated. If you've done a similar thing, or have experiences of any aspect of the above then your views would really help me out. :-)

Currently working in spain is very dificult for anyone. So, it is not the best moment to come to spain. Anyway, if you come, sure you will be wellcome

I dont think it is a good idea. Nowadays, finding a job here, in Spain, is almost imposible!!!. I would stay 2-3 years learning spanish,taking some more courses with calm and then, once the situation in the country has improved, try to come. I wouldnt quit your job thinking you will find something better here....

I would agree with the above comments. Spaniards can't get jobs in Spain, so unless you had definite job offer arranged in advance, you would be highly unlikely to find something immediately/at all.  I also would not recommend giving up your job.

I learned Spanish using linguaphone.  I found it really good.

wwwwoooow thanks guys for your advise...@Gibralter-how do i get that linguaphone?

I've got a spare unused set, but they are cassettes and you will probably want cds.

Here is the link

Linguaphone

It's changed since I did it, but don't bother with the entry level stuff. I think they are a waste of money.  Look at the beginner to advanced which seems to be similar to the stuff I bought, and then, later, I bought the next level up. I never did finish the last course, because truth was, I don't need it.  And - my partner threw away my cassette machine :/[sony walkman type thing]

I also bought a Hugo set, which was ok, but only once I had used the linguaphone stuff first, and learned a lot via that.  I found it (lingua) really systematic, well structured, easy to learn, and enjoyable.  And no, I don't work for them, nor am I on commission :(

Hope that helps.  Cheaper than chucking your job and moving to Spain.  Plus, if you can get Spanish TV that will help, as will Spanish films.

thank you very much...i will check it out...