How to aquire I.D. for bank account after a 30 year absence from India

I am a Canadian Citizen of Indian origin, have retired and returned to India for a prolognged stay (OCI). How can I get a second ID to be able to open bank account beside my passport. Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Hi HariAum, do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

Thank you so much!

I wonder did you received any response?

Not yet !

Dear Sir,
Usually Bankss accept rent agreement between tenant and owner.

Some nationalized banks request for some other address proofs and not just rent agreement. For the such woes Indian Postal Department has come up with facility of Address proof.
You need to purchase a form for Address proof from your nearest post-office, attach your identity (passport/pan card etc) and mention your current address where you are putting up & submit with post master. Postal Dept official will visit your place to verify and issue you an address proof. The whole procedure takes 30 days to get valid and certified address proof. Based on this you can open bank account.

Hope this helps.

One solution would be to get an Indian Postal Department ID card from one of the large post offices in your city of residence. It costs about 250 INR and will be good proof of your background information and other related details. Thanks and take care . Nash Nachiappan from Chennai, India .  March 01, 2012.