Scooter

Hi, ok my next question...When it comes to riding a scooter I can get travel insurance to cover but I must hold a license in Vietnam. So my question is can I get a valid license in Vietnam as a non citizen ? does the license have any third party insurance attached to it ? can I apply for local insurance ? is there such a thing as insurance ! just wondering what some of your experiences are...

Thanks

Panda7,

Your riding insurance is seperate from your riding license.  You get your Australian riding license translated (they have the package at the licensing place), once everything is completed, they will give you your Vietnamese riding license.  They will issue it based on the amount of time you have left on your visa.

Now, per Vietnamese law, you must have insurance when you ride the motorbikes.  If stopped, the traffic cop will ask for it.  Coverage is sold all over Vietnam.  The rate is relatively cheap, too.  Pay outs?  Now, that is something I have never seen or heard of...

Hope that helps.

Howie

great thanks for the reply...

re: insurance, it has been my info that the insurance actually only may cover cost of repairs to the vehicle. I do not believe there is any coverage for PIP - personal injury protection. It is very basic insurance but then not long ago there was no insurance of any type so VN is moving ahead slowly. Maybe you should inquire on personal med insurance which would cover you for any type injury. That would be separate from auto insurance of course.

If you use a Foreign licence to trade for a VN licence, as W1 said, it is time limited AND you cannot drive a vehicle with a capacity greater than 175 cc.

Take a VN test from scratch you can drive any capacity machine. And is good until you die.

If the motorcycle is not in your name get insurance in both your name and the registered owners name then the cops can't hassle you. And the insurers can't dodge the bullet.

Insurance is sold 08.00-17.00H at many gas stations.

Most accidents are settled in cash. Unless you wear an alleged Go-Pro camera you will find all sorts of witnesses materialise for the VN party (who pay them) so most times Foreigners get to pay.

Insurance is usually claimed against in case of death or injury. Get comprehensive - it only costs a dollar or so more (for a motorcycle).

Don't forget a copy of the ownership to carry with you and the registered owners telephone number. If you lose your parking ticket the guards usually want to see the ownership before release.

if I have a Viet license then my travel insurance will cover me but not for personal liability / third party. So I will get the Viet insurance to be covered by law but as Wild sais I will not put much faith in it. I guess the best thing to do is just ride safely. Thanks Jaitch good info there also.

panda7 wrote:

if I have a Viet license then my travel insurance will cover me but not for personal liability / third party. So I will get the Viet insurance to be covered by law but as Wild sais I will not put much faith in it. I guess the best thing to do is just ride safely. Thanks Jaitch good info there also.

TRAVEL INSURANCE, the type you buy from Travel Agents, often EXCLUDES extreme sports and ONLY COVERS scheduled public transportation.

A motorcycle is neither public nor scheduled therefore it won't cover you! These are insurers, Alan King's favourite conn artists - the Good Hands people - we are talking about insurers.

Get comprehensive coverage - at least you will think you are covered! Peace of mind.

thanks some good info here. I checked with my insurer you can pay a premium to be covered on a scooter but you must have valid VN license. I think I will try to get VN one from scratch provided this is possible for expats.

As you are in Nha Trang, go to:

#10 Nguyễn Thiện Thuật str.
Tel : 0919 655 367 and 0933 455 367

panda7 wrote:

thanks some good info here. I checked with my insurer you can pay a premium to be covered on a scooter but you must have valid VN license. I think I will try to get VN one from scratch provided this is possible for expats.

Worked for me, travel safe.

ok next question, how much do think I can get a half decent second hand scooter for ? also does anyone know of a shop that hires scooters and what their experiences were hiring...thanks

Panda7,

Whenever you want to buy something in Vietnam, it is always best to send a TRUSTED Vietnamese.  People here, especially those in the motorbike business love to charge strangers more, even other Vietnamese.

It is very difficult to put a firm price on motorbikes here because there are many variables:  paperworks, taxes, conditions, where are the parts from...  The motorbike folks here are among some of the shadiest folks of them all.  Be very vigilant when dealing with them.

If you are going to be here for awhile, I highly recommend that you go buy a new motorbike, be it a 50cc or whatever.  Get that peace of mind.  Then, when you decide not to come here anymore, you can sell it.  But, you are going to need a trusted Vietnamese to do the paperworks for you.

I used to rent them.  Not only that bought me time to find that TRUSTED Vietnamese but, it also enabled me to try different bikes.  Now, 2 years later, I pretty much got what I wanted out of my bike.  I can give that to my Vietnamese friend if he wants it.  But, he doesn't and the bike is still in good shape...  I came out pretty good.  Think about it.

Howie

yes good advice...thanks.

Hi Panda
For your info and for future reference, there are two groups of expats that meet informally that can help you after you arrive here.  There is a group of expats who have lived here for years and meet every morning at Beverly Hills Coffee Shop at 07:00 and a group of expats who have an english corner to help locals practice english for free that meets every Sunday morning at 09:30 at the Vien Dong Hotel restaurant.  There are many expats hanging around a few of the bars that can also be helpful.

As for buying, yes you can buy one even in your name. NN registration. This however depends a lot on your current immigration status, visa or residence, work permit ....
As for driving: Your Licence from a foreign country is accepted "legal" during your first 3 month period in Vietnam.
Consider diving here as risk. Better play Russian roulette.
If you not need to, don't do

HI, does someone know the address of the licensing place...

Cheers

panda7 wrote:

HI, does someone know the address of the licensing place...

Cheers

As you will your local - there is no national registration, you should advise, where you live.
As it will be likely challenging, to make a registration your self - and I can tell you for sure, it might take 4 hours + queuing, dealers do that for about 50 000 vnd + 600 000 vnd fee ( Nha Trang ofr none- NN plates).

To register in your name, you will need some"reason" for stay (long term VISA, residency and a Vietnamese driving licence) - for NN plates, all others must be done by Vietnamese

I was just going off Wilds post where he said you can transfer foreign license into temporary vn license depening on length of visa...so just wondering where the licensing place is ?