Moving to Lausanne from London

Hello,

We are a married couple (around 30) living in London and considering moving to Lausanne. One of the reason is that we want to have a family. Could you share with us any of your experience? Is social life (people's openness to friendship for foreigners) as enriching as in London. What if one of us doesn't speak French? How more expensive is life? Does anyone has an experience to work as a young mum?

Thanks a lot!

Hi there,

Switzerland is not renowned for it`s openess! Socially, politically or otherwise.
The Swiss generally keep themselves to themselves, they have their own friends & they don`t need any more.
But they will always greet you with a smile & Bonjour/Grüezi or Bongiorno depending which part you are in.

Is the language necessary? They appreciate it but it probably won`t win you any more friends!

However, Switzerland is pretty, confortable, stable & relatively safe. And the chocolate is really good.

But if you are looking for an exciting, inspiring, creative ,tolerant, & funky culture then I would stay where you are!

PS: Women`s Rights are not a high priority here.

Could go on but ..

Cheers Rik

Hi there,

I moved to Lausanne from Stevenage (north of London) with my partner in 2009, so I know what you might be facing. However, I was fortunate that my wife is Swiss and her family live in Lausanne, so I already had a social structure waiting for me here.

As Rik said above, Swiss people aren't the most open people you could ever wish to meet. They aren't rude by any means - they are polite and helpful, but it takes a long time to win their trust. I've been here for over 2.5 years and I'm only just starting to go out socially with people who aren't part of my family-in-law.

Not speaking French won't prevent you from getting by here, as most people have at least a very basic level of English. I work with some English people who still don't speak a word of French despite living here for over 10 years, and they seem to be doing alright! However, it would be a big help if you can pick up French; I didn't really speak any French when I moved here but now I can converse with ease, learnt by immersing myself in the language here (TV, newspapers, and just trying to speak French at any opportunity).

Anyway, hope all goes well for you. If you need any other tips or advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Paul