Looking for expat IT work in Vietnam

I'm a Canadian citizen who's currently engaged (Edit: married now, yay!) to a Vietnamese girl and am planning to settle here, preferably in Ho Chi Minh City or Da Nang. Are there any particularly good opportunities in IT for expats in either place? What sort of strategy should I adopt if I'm looking for IT work and want to find something that's enjoyable and preferably pays a little more than the industry minimum (~500 USD)?
Thanks!

Congratulations on your wedding, Dragfyre :D

Did you have a look in the It Jobs section of Vietnam's Classifieds? I think I saw a few openings there.

Hope this helps :)

Arlette

Hi,

Have you found anything yet.
Maybe you can try other sites to find a perfect job for you.

Its really hard for an expat to find jobs instantly except if you have any contacts to help.
Im also an expat here. Its nearly a month since I arrived here.

Good luck!

Be prepared for long hours for little money.:(

Are you in Vietnam?

If you are canadian, you can find the IT job here with minimum ~500$. I also work in this field, how about your IT background ? may I know

@atatpo: In and out of Vietnam at the moment, still living in Canada; will be in VN during Tet this year.
@jonh_nathan: largely worked in web and UI development-- you can add me on LinkedIn for a clearer picture:
linkedin.com/profile/view?id=35588570

Hi Daniel, there are opportunities here for you skill sets, however I have been told it can take 3-6months to find work. Salaries above $500 are common for ex-pats, be prepared to step into a senior\manager role tho. As most companies here want expats to be the interface between them and there existing IT staff.

Use linkedin more and post on the various vietnamese forums, thats what I did and have been lucky so far to find a 3 months conract starting in Jan.
Also keep in mind it's going to be quietish between now and Tet.
I've added you on linkedin :-)
Sean

PS congrats on getting married.

My husband is also a computer genious, hardware software, Cisco Systems certified... Network Engineer... you know the story.

Except we are planning a move to Hanoi for a year starting in September.

If you get any leads, ideas, etc, PLEASE forward them to me, and I will do the same for you,

BTW, nice to meet you :0

Jill

Hi Jill, welcome :-) I've sent you a quick pm hopefully with some helpful info. I would just re-iterate what I've said to dragfyre.
Be prepared for slow going but enjoy the experience all the same.

cheers
Sean