Warnings to any LGBT individuals considering Malta

I wasnt aware of this until this insane article in the papers today, but hate crimes are not covered under the current laws. At least thats what they say.

Here a couple of girls were attacked for their sexual preferences and the attackers are now charging the girls. Incredible. Although the story is still unfolding so all facts are not on the table.

So if someone attacks you based on your preferences, chances are you could be charged yourself. Sounds like some Arab country.

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … t-20120213

So if you are an LGBT person, please be careful as your rights are worthless in Malta.

Hi Eagle,

this case does not surprise me. There are many strange verdicts in Malta.

For example , Malta is the only country I know of where you could be charged if you are run over on a pedestrian crossing. Cars have the right of way ...as a pedestrian you are not allowed to endanger them driving along the road and wanting to cross ! -)))

This might sound a bit exaggerated but it is close to reality ! And don't even count on those crossings with a traffic light ! If you cross on green and cause an accident you could well be charged !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Cars have the right of way ...as a pedestrian you are not allowed to endanger them driving along the road and wanting to cross ! -)))

Are you sure on that ? I thought Malta took the British highway code in its entirety

Eagle wrote:

hate crimes are not covered under the current laws.

Actually, they are, but homophobia isn't considered a hate crime.

Eagle wrote:

So if someone attacks you based on your preferences, chances are you could be charged yourself.

in no way am I defending the action of the boys/men. However, if the girls responded in a way that broke the law, then the police have little leeway in not charging them. What isn't clear is how they responded, although they are facing a lesser charge than the boys.

George,

Fair enough all facts are not on the table. However from what has been reported. The guys started taunting the girls verbally and when the girls responded. Probably with something a little wittier than the lads could respond to they (the boys ) responded to violence.

Any form of violence is unacceptable imo, whats absurd is that the case for the boys has been brought on, without any protection for the girls. Same like the bus incident a few days ago.

So if two lesbians are kissing in the park for example, and defend their right to do it, its basically saying its ok for them to be beat up.

This is where the country lags behing the EU

I'm not surprised. How Malta could be part of EU, it's a mystery. If we knew really all the truth, not sure there will be a lot of expats here.

Eagle wrote:

So if two lesbians are kissing in the park for example, and defend their right to do it, its basically saying its ok for them to be beat up.

no, the boys/men have been charged