US Embassy Msg: Exercise Caution in the Eastern Province

EMERGENCY MESSAGE FOR U.S. CITIZENS

February 12, 2012

The U.S. Consulate General in Dhahran continues to advise U.S. citizens living in, or considering travel to, Qatif, Awamiya, Safwa and Saihat in the Eastern Province, to exercise caution and be aware of the potential for protests that sometimes result in violence.  At least two persons have reportedly been killed and a number of others injured in the last several days following confrontations between demonstrators and government security forces in the city of Qatif.

U.S. citizens are advised to avoid large crowds or public gatherings.  While demonstrations may appear peaceful, the potential exists for rapid escalation of a situation.  Regardless of where you are, it is always advisable to keep your security and situational awareness levels high. 

Please follow these good personal security practices:

Avoid crowds or large gatherings when traveling in public;

Know where you are going and have a plan of what to do in the event you encounter demonstrations or violence;

Identify safe areas (for example police stations, hospitals, Saudi Government buildings) in your area and how to get to them quickly;

Tell co-workers or neighbors where you're going and when you intend to return;

Minimize your profile while in public;

Always carry a cell phone and make sure you have emergency numbers pre-programmed into your phone such as U.S. Consulate General in Dhahran (03-330-3200), the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh (01-488-3800), and U.S. Consulate General in Jeddah (02-667-0080).  The emergency number for the Saudi Police, Fire, and Rescue is 999;

Thanks for sharing Alliecat!

Armand

Very useful information, thanks for sharing.  I copy it and send to my husband. He is begining work in Riyadh in March.

winnyp wrote:

Very useful information, thanks for sharing.  I copy it and send to my husband. He is begining work in Riyadh in March.

Dont scare him off though, it is not bad here. In fact expats are probably safer in saudi then the general population walking around london ...

Also with a name like winny and a husband I'm guessing you are a woman although I could very easily be mistaken, your avatar is blue which means you are a guy on here  - good luck with the new job, are you following your husband out here later in the year?

Louise is right--we haven't seen any problems in Riyadh.  It's just that things seem to flare up in the Eastern provinces from time to time. 

My embassy doesn't often send such msgs. so when they do, I like to pass the information on.

Good morning, Louise, Alliecat:

Thanks for sharing your experience. We pretty worry our safety in Saudi, Special my husband dose. I am a kind of adventure person. I and our two kids will join my husband in Riyadh after Summer vacation end of August. We usually don't go out that much in Abu Dhabi.

Good one AC!