Hello to all

I am another new person here!!   I hope to network/share and learn more....

Although I have been to the Philippines over 10 times in the last 34 months, I am still "fine-tuning" my pre-retiirement goals and specific location options there (Tagaytay area is number 1 option still).

An additional element of my focus is to complete my PhD studies at AIIAS (Cavite) either under a student visa or SRRV. 

In the mean time, it has been very interesting for me learning how to deal with the topics of:

Car rental
Manila Traffic as a driver
Constant Police stops for (the old you were swerving)
Police initial refusal to accept IDP  (International Driving Permit) until I show them the IDP center page with a clear "PHILIPPINES" listed.
TCT vs. CCT from mall ladies insisting that they have a nice condo for sale....  with a TCT (i.e., No foreigner can legally buy a condo unless it is CCT)
LTO
DTI
TIN
ACR-1 Card issuance steps
Bank Accounts

...so I do try to relax and get in my weekly shopping at SnR to get my California Milk and Fl OJ...hahaha

In summary, the goals I have still fit well with a move to the Phil in the next 2 years........  :-}

I went to school in Tustin and worked in LA for a number of years. 

Manila traffic is a pain, but I think rush hour on the LA freeways are much worse. I dont know about renting a car but do think driving is manageable.  I did get a ticket for swerving in Makati, but do admit I did swerve as missed my turn and did a dangerous turn from Buendia to Ayala.  Cost was 2000p, still cheaper ticket than in CA.  Makati police are straight, I dont think they take bribes like the ones on EDSA.

I just rode my bike up to Tagaytay on Sunday.  Nice, but I would not want to live there. Too rainy, but a little cooler. If you have to be near Manila, consider Subic area as well.

Good luck.

Hi Dhnindc,

Thanks for the responses....

Regarding:
Manila traffic vs. the LA freeways being much worse. The LA freeways are a mess often but at least there is 1 car per lane most of the time....  My need to drive to or around LA is less than 1 time in 3 months...not a problem.

Car renting -
1. I rent a car as a temp measure until I can either ship mine or buy a local... 
2. My PAL baggage allowance is 3/50 lb bags...not a pretty sight to stuff in a Jeep or small Taxi with LPG gas tanks in the trunk taking most of the space in the Corolla Taxi's trunk.
3. My days of stuffing my 6'3", 240 pound body into local Jeeps are very limited...along with the motion sickness, meal regurgitation induced feelings derived from the Baclaran Transportation center to Tagaytay buses.

So for most going there, a rental car may not seem the best option.  However, it is for me.

Police Stops/my history:
Swerving - Not sure about the differences between cities but was stopped 2 blocks from MOA and near Makati Ave/EDSA.  The police in Makati had 2 MC and 3 cars as 6 of then stood there monitoring traffic.   A jeepney made a stop in front of a no stopping/loading/unloading sign and pulled out/across 3 lanes to get into the left turn lane at the next light. As I had no other choice but to wait for it, I entered the final right lane and the whistle blew.... 

A most interesting dialog resulted as I asked why did they not stop/ticket the jeepney for numerous violations and blocking traffic at the same spot where the right turn lane limit entry was?  They had no clear English answer.... referred me to the Sgt on location... he was not able to answer and said the main law I violated was talking on my cell phone.... (strange shift from the normal "Swerving" claim).  I informed him of the fact have I always used Bluetooth (as he could see it on my face) and that being hands free, I did not violate any laws there. 

Next, the word spread that I was driving without a proper lic....   They claim they have never seen a IDP for the Phil...  and that most Americans they stop have local lic... so after a review of my Visa dates in my Passport, they seemed even more confused because I had a 59 day extended stamp in it.   Yes I was past the 21 days but had extended before the 21 days were up.. they informed me past 21 days was illegal as a tourist and the law required I have a Phil lic.  Hmmmm I suggested that he call the LTO as I call the US Embasy..... 

silence.. then, he said they would give me a break this time but I would get the CP usage ticket anyway... I told him first I will take photos of the intersection, the officers, the distance and follow them to the station,  As I removed my camera from my hip pouch, the other officers started to move away and cover their name tags.....  I also asked to please make sure the actual law regarding cell phone usage is stated on my written ticket. At that point the English suddenly stopped and few of the officers could not "understand" my English.... after a quick huddle... the SGT left and had the Motorcycle officer tell me they had discretion and would just give me a warning...   A warning for what?  I then told the MC officer to please help me understand how I could get a ticket or warning for CP usage when the law regarding that is still unsigned by the law makers there?  "How do you know so much about our laws here? was his reply.  He kept saying noise bleeding...   to much!!!

Regarding Tagaytay vs Subic - Yes Tagaytay area is very nice, and I do want to live there. No A/C needed at night to sleep (saving P3-5K on the electric bill/month) and with full window/door screens, no mosquito squadrons running night ops on me... 

Last point, there is no way to work on my PhD/attend the University of Choice, living in or near Subic.  There are some nice quiet and not over-populated areas driving near or into Alfonso from Tagaytay that are ideal for my plans.

Thanks for you suggestions anyway...they may work well for others with not so similar needs/goals...

Bringing in your own car is very expensive but you should find a used car pretty reasonable price. Just check closely for flood damage from 2009 as pretty much most of Manila and surrounding areas were flooded. Also, if its a Japan import, check the right to left hand conversion was done well. They often dont redirect the lights are some of the controls.

Tagaytay is nice, only problems I have are the weekend traffic going up and down the hill. If you can avoid driving on those days, you will be in good shape.

Good luck.

Regarding shipping my car there:  I have already met with/spoke to an official at the LTO and I do understand the issues/costs.  No right-side to left-side export issues from California here.  For my needs, my current car will be less than what I would find there.  It is paid for and over 10 years old so the fees will be less. 

Tagaytay Traffic:   The drive past View Point toward Alfonso can also be busy but once on the Alfonso turn-off, the drive is easy and light.

Thanks again....

Calif-Native wrote:

Regarding shipping my car there:  I have already met with/spoke to an official at the LTO and I do understand the issues/costs.  No right-side to left-side export issues from California here.  For my needs, my current car will be less than what I would find there.  It is paid for and over 10 years old so the fees will be less. 

Tagaytay Traffic:   The drive past View Point toward Alfonso can also be busy but once on the Alfonso turn-off, the drive is easy and light.

Thanks again....

Also, check with the Bureau of Customs. They are department that will assess how much customs duty. I am not sure how they figure it out.  I finally cleared registration of my Harley. I imported last Feb and should receive plates next week.  Its not an easy process. I have a 30 point checklist of procedures lying around somewhere.

Yup I have met with them also....  I am making sure I get it done correctly per Chapter IV of the BOC (and get Valuation Center & Library, One Stop Processing Center Motor Vehicle Manila International Container Port offices involved as a first step), and not become one of their "RATS" cases. hahaha

It has taken you 1 year for plates/registration??? wow.   I was assured that with the right docs and "pre-lube", one week and it would be done!