Seeking advice: Ex-pat starting business in TZ.

Hello everyone,

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzaia from 2006 to 2008. I loved the experience. Opened up my eyes more than anything else I've done in my life.
Now I'm sitting back in America dreaming of getting back to the ex-pat life.
I'd like to return to TZ and start a business along the lines of technology and importing.

Does anyone has any expereince or advice in this area?

Here are some of my biggest questions:
I know there are 30% corporate taxes in TZ, but as a US citizen do I still pay taxes to Uncle Sam?

Ownership.
Will I be allowed to own my own small business 100% or will some TZ partner need to hold 51%?

Has any one dealt with the Tanzania Investment Center?

Thank you so much,
GcR

Hi There.

I can help you. Let me gather all info & get back to you.
Post your email in Private messege to talk better if you feel it OK.

Hi:

It is very interesting to me that you want to have your own business in Tanzania. I am getting ready to move to Tanzania myself and thinking along the same way. Have you tried to look for Tanzanian business laws online? So far, I have found a couple of web-sites, such as
1. www.doingbusiness.org/LawLibrary/?economyid=185 (Tanzania - Business Laws - Doing Business - from The World Bank Group
The Doing Business law library is the largest free online collection of business laws and regulations. We link to official government sources wherever ...)
2. www.leat.or.tz/law - Laws of Tanzania.
3. Also, I found interesting the following article: "Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania adopt cyber laws : Internet Business Law
Kenya , Uganda and Tanzania are in the process of adopting harmonized cyber laws to enable the establishment of e-government and e-commerce programs, ..." at
www.ibls.com/internet_law_news_portal_v … ?s...id...

My husband cousin's family has businesses in Kenya, Tanzania and some other countries in Africa. What I learned from them is that you need first to consider, what kind of business you want to be in and in which part of the country. Then you need to look for specific laws that apply, in addition to Tanzanian business regulatory laws. For example, if you wanted to build an apartment/condo complex (and then rent or sell condos) in a city centre in Dar-es-Salaam, it may be worthwhile to know that National Housing Authority expects to be your business co-owner at 25% immediately, and then get 50% of your business in 12 yrs.

The good news is that there are so many business opportunities in Tanzania. I myself listed about 6-7 immediate possibilities for myself, when visiting Dar-es-Salaam recently. Tanzania's next elections are scheduled in 2010, so everybody advised me to wait and see what would be next Government's policies. In ameantime, I also want to learn as much as possible about Tanzanian business laws and other applicable topics, such as financing, insurance, etc.

So, what kind of business you want to be in? What are your skills? How much you want to achieve? You may post a response on your blog or e-mail me, if you want to discuss this topic more privately. My e-mail address is not exposed, however I can accept e-mail from you on this network.

Mary-Lou

Hello Mary Lou,
Thanks for those websites. I've never seen some of them before. I am planning to arrive in Tanzania in September/October this year and start a computer repair business and then move into importing consumer electronics.

As I mentioned before I have been to Tanzania before as a Peace Corps volunteer,  and I'm pretty good with Swahili. I have a degree in electrical engineering as well.

Also, I've found this website really useful.

Tanzania Investment Center
www.tic.co.tz
The government agency that deal with foreign investors and business people.

They have a lot of info on Visas, procedures for registering the business, and also sectors of the economy that they are trying to develop.

How about you? What are you thinking of doing in the area?
Feel free to contact me here or personally through email.

Kwa heri,
Greg

Hello.

Can we discuss a bit if you dont mind ----In private mails
Arusha Salma

This website has lots of good info on Tanzania business laws, and tax rates. Karibu.

http://www.iornet.com/countryprofile/tanzania/index.htm

Hey there!!!!!

It quite interesting to saw your posts and get to know about your plans in opening up a business in Tanzania. Well about me i am here in Tanzania for the last 2 years working with a pharma company as a sales and marketing manager.
After bieng here for quite some time i realised that Tanzania has a lot to offer in terms of setting up ur own Business and with a substantial amount of returns. Since there is nothing called as a MRP(Maximum Retail price), the profitability increases to a good extent.
Iam also thinking in those lines and planning to have some kind of a setup. I have quite a number of plans which presently i am working on. Since my profession allowed me to meet and intereact with a lot of local Tanzanians i think the TIC issue can be wel addressed.
I would like to know about your future visit plans in Tanzania so that we could meet up and discuss things face to face.

U can write me at [email protected]
I am living in Dar-es-salaam.

Regards
Partha

As a follow up to my original post:

So, I have made it back to Tanzania and I'm working on that computer & importing business. I have set up in Iringa and I have a lot of work ahead of me, but i think the idea is sound and I think in time I can make my plans succeed here.

If any one has questions about the ex-pat business situation, I now have some experience i can share with you.

~GcR

Hello everybody. It is good to hear that everything is going Ok for you all. As a matter of fact, my husband and I - we moved to Nairobi, Kenya. He as got a better job overthere.

Bes of luck for you all. We shall miss Dar and TZ.

Write to me if you wish at user_virgo at hotmail dot com

Mary Lou

Hi.
I'm a 16 yr old Kenyan and I finished high school last year.
I recently got a business idea that I don't want 2 implement in Kenya(4 personal reasons)but I'm sure will work in TZ. It's in the marketing and advertising sector.
I don't have any capital problems coz my Dad's funding me.
I'd like to know how it goes in TZ. Stuff like the laws governing business ownership, especially for a "minor" like me. What companies are already established? You know,stuff like that.
I'm checking out the sites posted here but I'd like to know more from smbdy who's (been) there - not just what Serikali ya Tanzania wants me to know.
I'll truly appreciate any help.

Hi !

did anybody doing business consulting service here ?

mail me

rocktokyo [at] gmail [dot] com

To registered a company, atleast one of the directors would have to be a local and can allocate any amt of share between you and the local partner!!!

rgds
Patrick

gravitythread wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzaia from 2006 to 2008. I loved the experience. Opened up my eyes more than anything else I've done in my life.
Now I'm sitting back in America dreaming of getting back to the ex-pat life.
I'd like to return to TZ and start a business along the lines of technology and importing.

Does anyone has any expereince or advice in this area?

Here are some of my biggest questions:
I know there are 30% corporate taxes in TZ, but as a US citizen do I still pay taxes to Uncle Sam?

Ownership.
Will I be allowed to own my own small business 100% or will some TZ partner need to hold 51%?

Has any one dealt with the Tanzania Investment Center?

Thank you so much,
GcR

Dear Gravitythread,

I have sent private message, waiting your reply.

Thanks.

Hi gravitythread
Hv u started ur business here in Tanzania yet..?
I would like to knw where is ur office cos im a computer dealer in Dar es Salaam,

Hi

I hope you don't mind and hope you are still over there enjoying yourself but I saw your posts when googling the web and thought to ask you for some information.

I am Australian and looking for advice on investing in Tanzania.  Last time I was in Africa (Kenya) was in 1988 when I was a young man.  So I am rather out of date what it is like over that way.

I am looking for advice on how difficult it is to get around as a foriegner in Tanzania and also what difficulties did you face setting up and conducting your business.

If you are able to share your experience I would appreciatte it.

Thank you.

Gravity,
You mention that you have degree in electrical engineering. Hence, suggest that start with consultancy company - get hands on experience - then get into business venture. Its not easy as it looks.best luck.

Hi there,

I am currently in Moshi, TZ and looking to start a business myself. I would reeeeally appreciate any advice / knowledge you have to share! Can you send me your email?

Thanks!

hi
i am looking for joint venture patner in tanzania.any expat in tanzania or from outside.all ideas will be considered.all replies be sent as private message to my in box.i am u.k resident.
regards

Anamanda wrote:

Hi there,

I am currently in Moshi, TZ and looking to start a business myself. I would reeeeally appreciate any advice / knowledge you have to share! Can you send me your email?

Thanks!

In our quest to set up a business in Tanzania we came across a company that can help.  Check out Regent Tanzania Ltd website.  Their website states they can help setup and facilitate the entire process.  No harm emailing them.

Hello,

My name is Abdul Maghembe, I was in computer Business in Tz for a long time and if you really need some help please let me know.

I'm in Dallas, Texas.

Thx

Good Day
Hi Greg.
I read series of your posts and writing to you to get further information to establish a management consulting. Apart of management we are also offering wide range  business.Currently we are working in Pakistan, Dubai & Kuwait and wanted to widen our business wings.
Hope to have your feedback.I'll appreciate if we can interact through personal emails then I'll provide you ind epth knowledge of my company details & official website.
Regards.
Wajid
(moderated: no free ads please)

HI Gravitythread,

I am really interested in also starting up a tourism business out of Iringa! I am living in Tanzania at the moment and would also love to hear some advice from you!  I know it is really difficult, but we are really eager to start the process and open in June 2012! Can we chat over email??

Many thanks

These are the requirements to open various companies in Tanzania as follows:

A. TO OPEN A LOCAL LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY:

1. Passport Copy of Owners/directors
2. Signatures of both Directors or Partners
3. Company Name
4. Business Plan (for industrial licenses only)
5. Professional & Experience Certificate (For professional/Consultancy/ Services licenses)
6. Postal Address in Tanzania.
7.Power of Attorney Appointing Representative.

NOTE: The Law requires to have a local partner/Director , this will help you when obtaining certain Business Licences,

It will take 3 to 7 days to complete the whole process.

B. TO OPEN A BRANCH OF THE FOREIGN COMPANY

1. Business Plan (for industrial licenses only)
2. Passport Copy of Owner/Manager
3. Bank statement of the last 3 months(Copy)
4. Certificate of incorporation from the foreign country.(Copy)
5. Board resolution/ Letter to Set Up Branch in Tanzania (Copy)
6. Power of Attorney Appointing Representative.
7. Passport size photos of both Directors/Partners.

It will take 3  to 7 days to complete the whole process.
please contact us if you have any questions.

[Moderated: No free ad please]

Hi GcR,
I am a Tanzanian living and working in Ireland for last 12 years as a training manager for a healthcare company.
The law in Tanzania requires foreign investors to for partnership with Tanzanians. You can own 51% ofthe company.

I dont know about American taxation but you shoud be able to find that out in the net. usually it depends on where your company is registered.

I am looking for a partner in tour bussiness or education business.
-I have a nissan Jeep and a mobile field oooker for this
-I have building structures with three Hostel rooms and four classrooms, a library facilty and 10 computers in place for the this. All recently put in place.

50 girls are already living in the Hostel. They go to local secondary school. I am thinking of providing computer training for school leavers. Qulity Education is a marketable comodity in tanzania

If interested my email is [email protected]

Think about it.

ys mr akolm
h r u
bzns in education like private lectures , computer courses , child care is ok depends on population and culture of people
as u r tz man, how u see it? i like to make success bzns in tz
but has no enough idea about the country
lets discus any good bzns
[email protected]
i will add u in windows live to chat u
if u r free give me message on 00970598064424
iam abo ahmad- arabian man
ok brother?

Dear Gravitythread,

Thanks for your interest.

I advise you to engage in Tourism Business. There is increasing number of Tourists from around the world interested to visit Tanzania and number is increasing years.

Hope you have heard of competition run by 7 World Wonder of Nature Organization based in USA. It involved 12 natural attractions from Africa and only 7 natural tourist attractions were supposed to be winner. So on 11 Febr, 3 tourists attractions from Tanzania are announced winner and these are Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti and Ngorongoro.

Then from point above, it is prove that you will earn profit and you will be proud of investment. There are several foreign citizen with Tour companies in Tanzania like Thompson safaris and many.

Am experienced and educated on Tourism Business. I have developed travel websites and blogs ready to start Business. Websites now have high traffic/visitors and have google pr 3. Also websites are linked to social media like facebook and twitter, have many friends and followers.

Dear Gravitythread, feel free to contact me for further discussion. Options available are buying this website Or start partnership by shares. Am ready for share from 20 to 40% and we can discuss. No limitation for foreign investment on shares.

hi there
iam arab man like come tz, live there make smal bzns. what type of visa i have to get first?
how is ur bzns? if i share u 50% = h much dollars? if u feel any other good bzns tell me, we may share
i need to rent flat me and wife only , how much per month?
iam engineer in water field, retired now tell me any idea at [email protected]

To all who want to open a compagny in Tanzania , must go to Dar Es Salaam Immigration to get all requirements ,
Then , find a Tanzanian partner You can really, really trust , ( corruption +++) go see website : BRELA ( office to registrate all compagnies ) Need Momerandum , Articles of Association, all need to be stamped & seal by lawyer , pls no trust all who wants to help , go to BRELA ,
Siku njema
B.P

hello frend
i hope u success in ur new life
iam arab man like come tz make small bzns. wr u from? can i ask????
( how u got visa?) from where u got visa?
there is no embassy of tz in our country jordan,
tell me pls at [email protected]

Am Canadian , married to Masai man ( tribe in Tanzania ) I started business with him as a partner before I married him , You need to do business with a local Tanzanian as partner , otherwise , Immigration no give You work permit & business license ( $ 2000.00 Usd each ) formalities are very long , good for 2 years only , after You need to $$$$ again , but less money , That's the only way to do it
Hope I was helpful to you
Siku njema ( have a nice day )
Brigitte

Also i have been seeking some guidelines on how to start a business in Dar es Salaam.Please if you got the guideline let me know

Hello markota -> What kind of business are you looking to settle up? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi
Please email me on [email protected]

scaniamsa wrote:

Hi
Please email me on [email protected]

An introduction maybe? :whistle:

[Moderated]

Import & export business will do better and easy for you. I also wish to get into the same

planning  to establish a company in Tanzania
in the freight logistics let say a packing and removal company
Is  this oportunity avialable in this sector
does i need to have a Tanzanian citizen as  shareholder
regards
rama

Hi about uncle sam's taxes....

There is a double taxation agreement between TZ and USA which means you only have to pay tax in one country.(might be for income tax only).  I suggest you get good accountant in the states to handle it because in the end uncle sam is meaner than tra if you make a mistake!

Good Luck.

im living in tanzania we can exchange more information through ******

@amwenisongole - please note that this thread is a bit old and feel free to start a new topic with all your questions on the Tanzania Forum as in it would be great to share information on the Forum as it might be helpful for the other members too please :)