Australian- Visa (WHV) or residency? Needed for Belgium

Hi,

So my situation is as follows I have Spanish residency until 20 Feburary 2012. I have no Schengan left

I want to move to Belgium to be with my girlfriend- however:

Belgium will not give me the Working Holiday Visa unless I return to Australia and apply there (have spoken with Beligum, Spainish beligum embassy, and Australian belgium embassy)

Belgium will take 5-9 months to process a Defacto/Co-habitation residency (during which time I cannot leave the country)

So, I decided it might be a good idea to get residency from the Netherlands as they will allow me to apply for the Wroking Holiday Visa from anywhere in the world (called embassy in Spain, and they said no problem).

1. Is there any problem with this idea in general?
2. When I apply for the residency in Netherlands (with the Working Holiday Visa)- how long will it take before I am permitted to travel/process?
3. If I apply for the residency in Netherlands (with-out the Working Holiday Visa)- how long will it take before I am permitted to travel/process? And can I do this with an expired Spanish residency card (by a few days) Or does this look bad?

Hi mcfee and welcome to Expat.com!

I wish you Good Luck in your project.;)

Harmonie.

Can anyone advise me here? I am going to the netherlands embassy Monday morning to pick it up!

Will I be legal in Belgium with this? Or am I limited on how long I can spend there? Can I sign a lease on an appartment?

:up: