UK national - Can I work if my partner offered a job in KL?

Hi everyone,
My partner has been shortlisted for a primary teacher role in KL. However after trying to look on the net, I thought it would be quicker to ask on here if anyone knows I will be able to work as well (we are not married but been living together for a number of years?

We are both born in the UK and educated at British Universities. I currently work in the oil industry in Aberdeen and have done since I graduated in 2004.

We are both really keen to make this move if my partner is offered this role. However, we have enough cash to last for a wee while until I find work but not indefinitely?

I am sure the school will fill us in in due course but just wanted to get a head start.

Thanks
Lee

Hello Lee,

Welcome to Expat.com. I'm sure you will be informed shortly on your new initiative.

Best of luck,

Varushen.

No you can't.without own work permit and have to meet conditions for that yourself - oil industry though means many things. If you are a geophysicist then getting a job would be relatively easy for example

You need to receive an offer then letter of appointment you need to take to immigration then you will get a work permit to work.

Yes, you can work, but it has to be on your own work permit.

As you are not married, you cannot come on a spousal visa, but will have to come in as a tourist.  Without work, you'll have to do a border run every 90 days.

Depending on what you do in the oil industry, you might be able to get work...but not necessarily in the same location that your partner is working.

If the job you are waiting on is one of the mentor positions for primary education, the ones with current openings are on the east coast (perhaps some oil work) and in Sabah and Sarawak, not as much of a chance, imo.

Good luck on your possible adventure.

Hi bearmilne11,

Have just sent you a message.

Dear Bear, unless and until you are not married you are not eligible to get a dependent spouse visa in malaysia (in singapore u can get). and once u get married and your partner holds a professional status job here in malaysia so u can get a social pass visa and if u need to find out work on that pass you ought to find an employer 1st then take the employer's offer letter to immigration office they will decide to give you work permission if their answer is yes then your employer has to apply for your own work pass. thats all