Does anyone have knowledge with the taxi business

I'll be coming to Santo Domingo in a few days to look into starting a taxi business. Does anyone have any info in this area?

Unless you are Dominican and a part of or connected to the transportation union here (strongest union in the DR) your chances of getting this done is ZER0.  If you try to do this with out the backing of the transportation union your chances of survival (your life) is next to ZERO

Bob K

Thanks for the info. To even buy 3-5 cars and use them as taxi's is impossible? One guy that's in the business said he would lease some type of paper work out to me weekly for $25-50US per car to be able to use my cars as taxi's. He didn't just have weekly but monthly leases as well. He offered his documents to of course make a profit but for me to see if I like the business. I'm being told its not that hard to buy a few cars and get this started.

Be VERY careful.  I stand by my original post. Have you been here before, have you lived here before, how do you know this guy who is willing to "help"
Be VERY careful as you may be setting your self up for a bad experience.

Bob K

I've been there twice in the last two months, the guy I met owns a cigar shop in punta cana, I came for a month my last trip and spent a lot of time with him. I don't just trust anyone, I've been to over eight countries and I own real estate. I just want to buy a few cheap cars 3-5 and lease them out to drivers. If I can't get everything in my name I won't do it, I will not leave with documents under someone elses name. There's risk with any investment, I know people who are doing business that doesn't live there. I'm not investing a lot of cash if I was it would be a different story.

Good luck

Bob K

Hi Bob, this connection of transportation is no such thing, easy to start with no problems of worrying about the big dogs with big companies. I brought 5 cars and its running smoothly. Got here on the 8th and I leave on the 28th. Now I have to worry about trust, I have a guy that help me set everything up and he's getting a percentage but I don't trust him 100% I need to find someone in Santo Domingo that speaks english I can communicate with while I'm in the US to look over my business.

Any suggestions?

Place an here and on the www.DR1

Bob K