What is it like working for an oil company?

Im in the UK currently looking for work in Brunei, i was wondering if anyone had any information on what to expect when i arrive?  I hear there are expat like areas provided by some companies would rent included if you worked for the company?

What company specifically? I think some do, I'm working on the service side however, and mine will be.

Hi there brspencer, thanks for the reply i have been looking at Shell as they seem to have some jobs going at the moment in brunei. 

Would there be a big difference between different companies?

I think I found some information on the shell outpost website (globaloutpostservices.com/complex.asp?path=pgpbi9pp)

Shell puts it's people in Seria town sort of small single story bungalows not far from their operations. A boring town but that's where your contract is.

While back in bandar the current place to be is from Armada properties (formerly a member of the notorious Amedeo group owned by Prince Jeffery) business is picking up that the once half built guest houses for special foreigners and the like are now being done up again.

You will have 24 hour security guards and boom gates (not that they do anything your safe in the backest of back streets in Brunei anyway)to make you feel special.

These places are reserved for foreigners not for locals on religious grounds...what ever.don't let the movie "THE KINGDOM" put you off.

Electricity is not expensive if you have to pay for it,as for water it's so cheap some waiver the bill how about that!

thank you oiltownblues for your reply, do you know what companies are in brunei?

The biggest local employer is the govt of Brunei.as for companies you have to know what you want to do before you go there,that's a better advice.cold calling for work doesn't quite work there.

thanks again for the advice oiltownblues, Ive tried really hard for the last year to try and get anything there, but nothing.  I may have some luck coming up soon, but I will keep trying!

now I need to watch "the kingdom" :)

andrewc2003 wrote:

Im in the UK currently looking for work in Brunei, i was wondering if anyone had any information on what to expect when i arrive?  I hear there are expat like areas provided by some companies would rent included if you worked for the company?

Andrew

Looking at jobsatbruneishell.com.bn

Brunei Shell is the biggest Oil & Gas company in Brunei. However, most of the opening is for Bruneian, very few for expat.

I also looking any opening on the Oil & Gas sector in Brunei.

WHAT IS IT LIKE WORKING AN OIL COMPANY...? if you mean Brunei Shell and your not a "son of Brunei "then you can forget rising to the top of the ladder.

After reading the Shell Policy or between the lines then you may consider again working for them,unless your here for a short stint.

Argentina just kicked the Spanish out of their oil fields with minutes notice to their marching orders! Will "HM" do the same when the Brits are no longer a force to be reckon with in the new world order to come...sorry  getting off track here.

But some may know that the Sultan only have half the oil shares and is planning for full take over, perhaps like Argentina? It has shown no regard for foreigners when it changed all land & property owned by foriegners from power of attorney & Title deeds  to 60 year leases!...with zero consultantation to the owners,Ouch! (late 2011)

20 years ago pernament residents working in senior positions left in mass from Brunei shell in disgust for being consistently sidelined for promotion and given to their juniors,the..... "sons of B..."

They left Brunei all together with their families to Canada like black slaves of America running to freedom and rights in a time forgotten by many.

Sad but true dont let history repeat itself by thinking you can make a difference.

No one can sue the King in any mans language!

thank you oiltownblues for the very informative reply I never knew about the 60 year lease law