Transporting pets overseas

I have a small dog (14lbs or so) , what do I need to do to get her overseas safely? Shots, paperwork, etc.?? Thanks everyone! :)

Hi April18, I invite you to post take a look at this page > http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102983.;)

Hope it helps.;)

Harmonie.

Looks like you are in America? Yes? 

Are you talking about bringing your small dog on holiday or to live?

You can certainly take small dogs on planes with you in the cabins these days apparently (talking to someone today who regularly flies around Europe and she was telling me about that), so that's a good start.

What the other poster mentioned about rabies jabs, and obviously, to travel in and out of Spain you need a pet passport.  There is a standard one across Europe.

If you want to live in Spain, it depends on the area you have chosen.  For example, Andalucía requires a microchip and for you to have your dog registered with the Junta de Andalucía.  I don't know if there are any national rules yet, a lot of the dog legislation has been brought in relatively recently and rather piecemeal.

You will want to make yourself aware of some of the main and common problems, eg tick disease (which our dog contracted), and leishmaniasis.  Depending on where you choose to visit/live there may well be localised health problems, so it is a good idea to find a nearby vet, even if you are only on holiday.  I think my vet is within a group called Galache or something.  No idea about the rest of the group but he is ok.

Maybe a bit more info, and we can help further.