Recreation in Philippines

I am looking for a retirement location with most of the amenities that I am accustomed to here in Canada.  I am not looking for luxury as I currently live in a small suite and am perfectly happy with this size of place.  If I could find a similar quality of place at a slight reduction in the cost of living with better weather that would be great.

The priorities for such a location would be first golf and second windsurfing or surfing.  I have not been to the Philippines but I know that these activities exist.  I am seeking some first hand experiences from anyone on the accessibility, quality, and cost of golfing in the Philippines. I would like to be able to play golf 2 or 3 times per week.

Of course I understand the requirement to personally investigate but I am just inquiring if anyone could give me an indication if it is worthwhile or not, and if it is, which locations might be the best to focus on initially.  Thanks for any advice.

Hi
I'm Australian and live here in Phil.
I would recommend Naga City but no golf course here yet
I've heard there are good courses in Cebu, when Charles see this he can give you the drum on down there.
as for cost of living you need to tell us how many in household and any schooling required
Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'm solo at the moment.... and don't expect that to change any time soon.

Other things I would like to know is the quality of meat available.  I don't know what traditional Philippine food is.  I would also hope to find a spot that has a small patio or area that I could BBQ.  And finally, I would like to find a place that is relatively quiet.  I spent the winter in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago and between the roosters crowing, the dogs barking, the music blaring and the motoconchos racing, I swear I never slept for 3 months.

you can expect a dramatic fall in cost of living.
I rechond if I took the 3 kids cost away from our budget
my wife & I would live for 40,000p $1000AU per mth but no rent that includes internet, pay TV,cell ph,running a car & scooter
and good food but I must warn you beef is not good compared with Aust beef,(too tough) and lamb is unperqurable.
I suggest u come here on a fact finding tour, I'm sure u can find a suitable location to live and enjoy
Pete

knucklehead wrote:

Thanks Pete,

I'm solo at the moment.... and don't expect that to change any time soon.

Other things I would like to know is the quality of meat available.  I don't know what traditional Philippine food is.  I would also hope to find a spot that has a small patio or area that I could BBQ.  And finally, I would like to find a place that is relatively quiet.  I spent the winter in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago and between the roosters crowing, the dogs barking, the music blaring and the motoconchos racing, I swear I never slept for 3 months.

Local beef is terrible. You will be eating a lot of pork and chicken.

Roosters, dogs, karaoke, jeepneys, I think you pretty much eliminated the cities and the provinces. Try Subic area. A lot of Americans, Canadians, Aussies who start out there before relocating as its not as much a culture shock. A bit more expensive, but I think it would work for you.

I would recommend Silang,Cavite.There are several golf courses in that area and it's near Batangas, famous for it's beaches and shoreline.It has a cooler climate compare to other place.And it's only 45minutes from International Airport.
They are also famous for their batangas beef and robusta coffee.

HI Pete,

Greetings! There are a lot of places to choose from and touring the Philippines is a great way to find out where you will find your new home~ Question is, would you like to live near the beach area or near a cooler climate. Anywhere near Tagaytay and Tanay are cooler. There are certain places in Cebu, Bukidnon that are pretty cool too. In Cebu, you can most likely achieve your goal in living in a more spacious location with a lot of greens, can go surfing, play golf, tour easily around the neighboring provinces and Asian countries. International airport and big reliable hospitals are available within the city. Quite a charm~

Please see links below to have some ideas on the different places to consider.
Cebu: is a great hub to be so you can visit not only the neighboring provinces but also other Asian countries.

Cebu - gateway to a lot of places including International waters

Subic subic sports
or Clark, you will be a few hours away from La Union, Ilocos Norte..great places to see too :)

different spots for surfing

There are a lot of places in the Metro Manila area to play golf. But your preferences to have a quiet neighborhood is almost impossible in the Metro. We live in Alabang area, live in a gated community but  we have roosters, my daughter has two of them and a number of chickens. Okay, my daughter would love to be a zoologist :)so we will have our own farm soon~~not here in the village of course, somewhere either in Tanay, Rizal or anywhere near Tagaytay.

Your preference as to where you want to reside will dictate how much it will cost you to play golf twice a week, go surfing every so often. With you being single, you have a lot of flexibility.

You just have to consider getting a retirement visa from PRA.
You can use the deposit in purchasing your own condo unit, rent it out, and get a rental house where you would prefer to retire.

With regards to food: We eat more veggies and fish rather than meat. but we do have good meat here too. It's a matter of finding where to buy it fresh. We have S&R equivalent of costco in the US so they have some US brands items including food and meat.

With your lifestyle, you might need at least $2000.

Important FACTORS to prioritize when choosing a retirement place:
1. nearby HOSPITAL-
2. nearby International airport
3. nearby commercial places to shop
4. availability of internet and cable connections
5. gated community

Hope that helps!
Pinaymentor

Thx pinaymentor
I was repling to knucklehead who is looking to move here
I think your advise is excellent to new members the only thing I question is the amount of money needed to live here you say $2000, that must be a pretty lavish life stye?
as I said before we live well and school 3 kids on 60,000p per month and don't miss out on anything except partying
but I also think every thing (except petrol) is cheaper in Naga City especially fruit & vegies which are so fresh
Pete

protogama wrote:

Dear Editor, I think we should separate people's needs on the website, meaning those who live on their government pensions, and to those who are trying make living over here and help the society to improve. Yeah!

how about coming to the point, who are you having a go at?
I for one don't understand what you are on about
Pete

Thanks for all your input.  It was all very valuable, except for the troll.

Knucklehead, i agree with them subic, cebu and batangas are good places to start with. But, one place that i think will also be good for you is in Cagayan de Oro or Bukidnon.

You can play golf in Del Monte Golf Club. It is located in between a serene landscape of trees and greens. Fortunately, it is also one of the less polluted areas in Mindanao, making it a perfect location to do several leisurely activities such as playing golf. It spans about 6,930 yard at par-72 and consists of 18 holes. Golfers and visitors can enjoy the cool breeze similar to that of Baguio's since the golf course is located amidst the mountain ranges of Bukidnon. The weather in Bukidnon is really great for expats. There are some Dutch and Americans living there.

I remember the club charges local residents around Php500 for the Green fees, while non-residents will be charged with Php1200 during the weekdays. An additional Php300 will be added to the rates during the weekends. Caddy fees, starts at around Php250. And for golfers who forget to bring their own, they also have golf clubs for rent for about Php500.

The best thing in there is the juicy fresh beef steak. I was given three big slices for a price of only Php 150.00, that serving will cost around 500 pesos already in Manila. Add to that the fresh fruits and bottomless pitcher of pineapple juice (it's owned by Del Monte Corporation by the way).

Plus the beaches are just few kilometers away from the city. Airport is just 30 to 45 minutes ride.

Goodluck!!:)

Great information. Thanks.