I don't know enough about uruquay to know where to move to live.

Please be nice.....I'm a newbie. I feel the world is in a tail spin and feel like it is hitting the USA hard. I live on social security and a bit from VA disability so can't afford much ($1100 per month). I want to buy a house on about five acres so I can grow my own food. I do not want to live in a crowded place but need to be able to drive to shopping and doctors.  I also like to hunt and fish for survival only.

I found after living in the Alaskan bush, I am not the loner I thought I was. I would like to meet some nice lady, so need to be near some nice ladies that speak English and teach me Spanish or whatever.

Where is a good place to live? I can't afford to visit. I will sell everything and just "go south".

If I sell everything I own, I will still be almost broke. I may  come up with $7,000-$10,000 and some of that will go to flying down and renting for a while. I have soooooo many questions but don't know enough to know what to ask yet. I just thought of a new question............is this forum (New Members)the best to be in?

I am sorry no answers yet.. What would you want to know exactly? Montevideo is very close to rural areas where I am sure you would  find something, but as I said in another post, Uruguay is a fairly expensive country. Have you ever thought of Ecuador or Peru? That is if you want latin america, of course...Looking  forward to hear from you and i will try to be more helpful

Uruguay is no longer an inexpensive country. You could live on 1100 per month, IF you had enough cash to buy a house outright, which will probably be over 100,000 USD. If you need to rent and live, 1100 will not be enough. Some of my friends live in Ecuador, and say it is a good place to live on a budget. Good luck!

Rayblank, I can understand your concerns about the state the US is in. Your concerns are certainly valid, and many of us are on your page.
I admire your passion and willingness to venture out on a path to a new and better life; that is why we are all here in this forum in the first place, right?
I learn something new about Uruguay every day, as well as many other societies Im considering expatriating to.
So I encourage you to keep searching and investigating before throwing caution to the wind.
At the same time, your military experience along with hunting/fishing for survival and being a Alaskan back country man tells me you are a survivor!
I believe you will do well for yourself wherever yo go. You will certaily meet your special lady along your path who will also admire your strength and courage. Every woman wants a strong man.

Two of my favorithe quotes:

"Jump and the net will appear"
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up"

gMantis

Thanks for the help guys and or gals. I want to be in a country that allows me to own firearms and feel safe.  I was a good psychic at one time and need to be relaxed for it to work. I just want to RELAX! I may have to settle for New Mexico, where I am presently.

Hi Ray,

I do not think Uruguay is the place for you.  yes you can have firearms, but it is not going to be cheap enough for you by any stretch.  I would consider other places first.  Here are a few of my ideas (and why) though I have not been to any of them personally:

1) Puerto Rico -- why?  It is still "US" but a world away, and you ge US healthcare and VA bennies there which it sounds like you need.

2) Mexico -- why?  Close enough to the US to 'go home' for care if needed, generally cheap if you find some small town to live in that is not real popular with tourists.

3) equador -- why?  VERY cheap.  You can dfinitely make it there on what you have.

4) Venezuela -- why?  Beuatiful country that, once Chavez is gone, may actually improve.  Plus they just devalued their currency making it much cheaper for you to go there.  Better to be on the way up in a country, eh?

5) Columbia -- it is definitely up and coming, the cartels have pretty much disappeared, and out of the city should be very afforable to you.

6) Panama -- US dollar centric, good economy, and out of the main cities affordable.

7) Costa rica -- seems affordable to pretty much everyone and has a pensioneers residency program.

NOW, if you have your heart set on living in Uruguay, I can literally give you a house to live in for free rent.  It needs ot be cleaned up but if you are not picky, it is on a farm just about a 2-3 block walk across a field from the town of Kiyu (search google maps).  I have no idea if the plumbing or anything else works as I have never been in there, but the doors lock and it has windows and it is solidly built.  Assume no internet or cable.  I don;t need any rent from it whatsoever.  It just sits empty.

The downside is you will really need to know some spanish to get along in the area, and either buy only from the very small stores there, or get a bike to ride 5-7 miles into town when you need something else.

Finally, as to the US, well, yes I too believe it is headed in the wrong direcgtion.  However it still has a very very long way to fall and is still miles ahead of most SA countries including Uruguay.  Picking up and moving to Kiyu would be like moving to alaska again, only with town 3 blocks away full of people you do not know and no way to communicate.  Might as well be in Alaska.

However, if this kind of 'adventure' suits you, the house is yours.  Seriously, I kid you not.  But I make no promises other than the wondows are there, and the roof does not leak, and the door locks.  I expect you will spend at least 3 days just cleaning it up and I have no idea what furniture is in there if any.

4) Venezuela -- why?  Beuatiful country that, once Chavez is gone, may actually improve.  Plus they just devalued their currency making it much cheaper for you to go there.  Better to be on the way up in a country, eh?

PLEASE, dont choose Vz, I am from there and believe me, it will be several years before it takes form again and I will THINK of setting foot there, and consider I have my mother living there...

As for the rest of the post, I agree and I would trow Peru  in the mix.

And DNB, you are very kind to offer housing, very very kind!  Good people!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks so much for your offer! I am rather stuck in Alaska and guess I will make my stand here. I could learn Spanish and feel rather strange not being better at it than I am. After all, I was raised in Texas. What intrigued me was the dove and other hunting. Alaska has a lot more to offer and does not have all the heat and bugs,snakes, and etc.

dhammond wrote:

Uruguay is no longer an inexpensive country. You could live on 1100 per month, IF you had enough cash to buy a house outright, which will probably be over 100,000 USD. If you need to rent and live, 1100 will not be enough. Some of my friends live in Ecuador, and say it is a good place to live on a budget. Good luck!

Hi dhammond,

You also talk about Ecuador in Uruguay forum... Is it fine to live there? safe? as u told some of your friends are living there?

I a considering either Ecuador or Uruguay... I am not getting exactly how to get in Uruguay and how can we become permanent residence while we are outside Uruguay? how t take initial steps and what are the requirement?

Hi Odan,

Please note that Dhammond post is quite old :)

Feel free to start a new thread on the Uruguay Forum with all your questions please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi

I am leaving Tena Ecuador  this Tuesday. I have been here, this time for almost 6 months and before that, a couple of months first part of the year.

I do not think I will be coming back to Ecuador. I am like the OP, on a limited budget and live conservatively.  Here in Tena..and on the coast as well, Montainita, Bahia and Canoa.... if you throw money around  no problem. If you live conservatively, eat at home most of the time, the people are tolerant but not very welcoming.  I lived in Mexico for 10 years and liked it a lot better before the cartel wars started, than I do Ecuador.

To the OP and others considering Ecuador- or any other foreign country my recommendation is to go and live in the culture for a minimum of 6 months- a year is better- and decide then- BEFORE you commit to buying property or any other long term commitments.

Additionally there are a number of expat promoters here in Ecuador who offer help supposedly to "all" but only in reality those well heeled. Just be aware.  I also have found being reasonably fluent in the language  a  must. I never took Spanish in school but learned what I know  by living in Latin America.....I probably am between 60 and 70 % fluent and it is a necessity in my book. 

Really exercise care with those who seem to want to befriend you. I have made, in my entire time in Latin America a total of what I would consider long term or "true" friends.....only 3, all of whom live in Mexico, one of which was an expat from Italy- the other two were Mexicans.  There are nice people in Ecuador  but the majority of Ecuadorians I have experience with  are there first for the money. Lying is part of the culture here as well, worse than I experienced  in Mexico.   Culturally - for me- Ecuador  has compared to other places in South America, very little to offer.

My take on Ecuador. Your mileage may vary. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the honesty on Uruguayan  expenses. I dont think I will be coming there.

Expat42451

I would just like to say, your offer of a free home to a person you have never met, was one of the finest examples of compassion that I have seen in a very very long time.  Well done!

GT

Well I am not giving it away, but they can live there rent-free, sure, no sweat for me.  I have no use for it.  I have another house on another farm I live in when I travel down there.  On the next trip I guess I will actually have to stick my nose in the one I offer to see what it really looks like inside!

Better someone live there someday than no one live there ever...

My wife and I are interested in moving to Uruguay to start an organic farm. Would that be possible on this property you speak of dnb? How far away from a population center?

is ecuador a good place to retire on a limited income are homes near water affortable i do not want to live in us.thankyou armand

Do you stii have this property availabel