Reverse Culture Shock

Sophie345 wrote:

:D

That really made me laugh.

It is not much better being abroad and seeing English people behaving badly!
That really blows your cover!

Hello Sophie345,

Welcome to Expat-Blogs..............................
I didn't get you what does it mean seeing English people behaving badly..........

Regards,
Anil

Ok and may i asked you how you got affected..........

reverse culture shock is never my friend

skwan wrote:

reverse culture shock is never my friend

Clarify that statement.

This is normal.  They longer you are away the more home feels abnormal.  I myself can only tolerate about 2 weeks at home and need to leave

Bkk_Bear wrote:

This is normal.  They longer you are away the more home feels abnormal.  I myself can only tolerate about 2 weeks at home and need to leave

Why would home feel abnormal after a short time away. ??  I often spend 7 months or more away and home never seems abnormal to me.

GavinT wrote:

It was a strange feeling. Sort of like, "I don't really belong here anymore".

I have yet to go "home" and don't especially care to.
When I was in the UK, I would wake up and look out of my window to see if my van had suffered any overnight damage.
The problem of druggies breaking windows in order to steal the stereo, or just some pointless idiot slashing tyres for 'fun' was so common, I checked so I could cancel or rearrange appointments for the day.
Twice, my van was the only one on the street with four intact tyres, so I did a few runs to the local tyre place for the rest of the street who had lost more than one tyre, so their cars were stuck.
That and the massive drug related problems that were just getting worse and worse as time went on. There were several drug related murders in my quiet town.
That terrible situation is one I have little interest in seeing again, so I have absolutely no plans to return to the UK.

It's unlikely I'll ever get reverse culture shock, because I have no plans to reverse my life. :)

mas fred wrote:

When I was in the UK, I would wake up and look out of my window to see if my van had suffered any overnight damage.
The problem of druggies breaking windows in order to steal the stereo, or just some pointless idiot slashing tyres for 'fun' was so common, I checked so I could cancel or rearrange appointments for the day.
Twice, my van was the only one on the street with four intact tyres, so I did a few runs to the local tyre place for the rest of the street who had lost more than one tyre, so their cars were stuck.
That and the massive drug related problems that were just getting worse and worse as time went on. There were several drug related murders in my quiet town.
That terrible situation is one I have little interest in seeing again, so I have absolutely no plans to return to the UK.

It's unlikely I'll ever get reverse culture shock, because I have no plans to reverse my life. :)

This is interesting because a lot of these hooligans are probably going to Syria right about now.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mas fred wrote:

This is interesting because a lot of these hooligans are probably going to Syria right about now.

Why would you assume they're Muslims?

If the Brits joining Isis are Christians, they're stupider than everyone thinks.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

If the Brits joining Isis are Christians, they're stupider than everyone thinks.

Well, anyone would have to be a bit stupid to go all extremist, but the people doing the stealing and tyre slashing were local pot heads, all were white non believers.

I think it might be a normal feeling. You're slowly losing your roots and obtainng some new fatures. However it will take generations to belong to another nation and culture. You're just no more this, and not yet that

Beelost wrote:

However it will take generations to belong to another nation and culture. You're just no more this, and not yet that

That depends mainly on your own attitude.
I normally felt like a part of my host country after a short time - even if an unusual one, I am nevertheless part of the social fabric of any society I live in.
In addition, I can be still this AND at the same time that. It's not mutually exclusive - it's just what makes me me!

Find activities and meet other expats

OR