Over usage of Round-Up herbicide = Surge of cancer rate in Mauritius?

I am sure most Mauritians have heard of Round-Up. For those who haven't, Round-Up is a very well known herbicide which is widely used in the Sugar plantations. It is a very powerful weed killer but its lethal side effects are little known among Mauritians.

A quick search online will yield hundreds of pages describing the effects of Monsanto's Round Up on the human body and nature is general.

I am sure fellow Mauritians are aware of the fact that cancer rates have gone through the roof during the past 10 years.

It is a shame official cancer figures are not being published but based on studies abroad, I cannot help worrying about the amount of this lethal chemical used to widely over the past years.

Will our government do something about it?

Videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=Rml_k005tsU&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=OLzELDt3d2I&feature=fvst

Read:
organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/glyphocancer.cfm
huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/roundup-scientists-birth-defects_n_883578.html

I believe that you have the right message but the wrong medium.
This is an expat forum and even though the members do agree with you , they can't do much as "guests" in a host country.

Why don't you write in some local newspapers or create a Facebook page to get the attention of Mauritians?

External, I am aware this is an expat forum but many Mauritians also read these posts.

I think the "guests" will also like to know how polluted the environment is in Mauritius. Aerosolised pesticides and herbicides used in sugar cane plantations carried by the wind to inhabited areas, rivers void of life forms, super heated water dumped into the lagoon by sugar cane mills killing sealife during the harvest seasons.

The Mauritian press is not as free as you think External.

Round-up is produced by Monsanto and represents about 10% of its income. They have been brought to book on claims that is was safer than table salt and one company sponsored laboratory fined around 15 million dollars for falsifying test results. When it comes to words of reassurance then the advice is 'never trust the people making money from it'.

It is still used in the US though in the EU countries have officially labelled it as 'dangerous to the environment'.  Having said that, it does not mean its use has been banned.

You mention an increase in the number of cancers. Whether this is true or not you will have a tough time proving the link between Round-up and the cancers. That is even with full co-operation from medical facilities and the manufactures.

I could write all day on this kind of thing (dont get me started on soil/river pollution in S.Wales) but the bottom line is to avoid contact with any and all agricultural chemicals. For the most part they are designed to be safe when any of the trace amounts reach your table and only toxic when used in-situ.

From my own reading it is apparent that Mauritius does have pollution issues. Having said that it is also clear that the government does act decisively when the need arises. Small island, small population, a growing professional population and no small income from tourism. Good housekeeping has to be maintained if they want to keep growing.

I'm not saying we should not be concerned but there are many places considerably more modern but less healthy to live.

Aldeb@ran wrote:

Will our government do something about it?

No, of course not.

However, you would need more than government statistics to prove a link.  I don't know of an independent body that collects such data in Mauritius.  In fact we are far behind the rest of Africa in open-access government data.

Dear Aldeb@ran
Obviously you are very concerned. Please advise e-mail contact details of 2 of the largest distributors of chemical weed killer/Round up in Mauritius and I will introduce them to a totally organic European approved weed killer which can be used instead.

I live in Mauritius over 10 years and I deeply agree with this post. Mauritius not as beautiful as they show it in the media. And if people come for living here they must know what kind of conditions have to deal with, specially because do not have technicly chance to change it officially. ....and maybe if they get information on any other channel, like here, maybe they will change their point of view, not to come here. This is our job, to try to make Maurutius safe and protect the population and the beautiful natur of this island. Than can be proud again...

Oh I wonder whether those who come and buy their monstrous concrete  villas around those lush and green  Golf courts really care.

Just check how much pesticide/herbicides are being poured on them to keep them "healthy"

Unfortunately money does not equal with Intelligency and Goverment also does not cate much about International Agreements. But We Must Change It, because the country is not for them! It is for the Citizens, we should do something for the country and not just sit and wait to God to solve the problem, because it is going to be LATE!

Good on you for highlighting this, Aldeb. Spread the word far and wide.

Maybe someone on this forum is/will one day be in a position of power to put an end to this abuse.