UK girl marrying a Jordan man in Jordan - advice please

I hope someone will be able to offer some advice about a very difficult issue as I will outline.

Our daughter, H, a UK citizen living in Sheffield, England, is engaged to a man, G, whose family is from Amman, Jordan.  G's mother is Palestinian and his father is Syrian.  G has a Syrian passport.  He is a PhD who now lives and works in the UK.  H is a medical student who will finish her training in June 2013.

G's mother is terminally ill.  The couple had planned to marry in Sheffield in July 2012 but fear that this will be too late to be witnessed by G's mother.  As a result they plan to marry in March in a Catholic Church in Amman - all the families of the couple are Christians.

I am H's father.  I have tried to get information about legal requirements, residency, etc to qualify to marry in Jordan - but have not been able to find out.  Any help and guidance on these matters would be most welcome.  THanks in anticipation.

Keith C Parry OBE

Hello Keith and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to take a look at the different threads of the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

I think u don't need papers because both r not jordainain,so they must go to the church and the will guide them.

This is from US Embassy's site (maybe will help): "If you are marrying according to the Christian tradition, then the marriage must be performed according to the Ecclesiastical court. Those interested in marrying in Jordan should contact a Jordanian religious figure to learn of the latest requirements."

Hello, 

they can get married in Jordan with no problems, except they will both need official letters from there current churches that they are not married or have not been previously married.

On reading your post again I would say that the family in Jordan should go to their church and find out what the legal requirements are for a foreigner to marry in Jordan.   I would gather they are planning to live in UK so they need to have a Registry Office marriage to make everything legal here and, I think, they can register the marriage at the British Embassy.  Make sure any children are born in this country!  Luckily this is what happened to me and my son was born here.

Good luck.

i want to marry a jordanian weather in uk or jordan if itr  was uk can anyone advise he cuurently works in saudia as a teacher but if i was to marry in jordan i have to be ther 21 days befor i can marry is this correct some one help plz

i am a muslim english women i converted 3 years ago now hamdullah but im so confused i love this man more than life but need help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Salam alaikum,
Sis, I would advise you that there are two sides of a coin...
Please read my post  'Help Urgently needed' for your information.

As said...Be very careful..there are couples who have successfully married and live in Jordan/UK...while some like me are going through terrible times...

All the best for your future..
Ma'assalama..Allah Hafiz-o-Nasir
Flowerinjannah