Any Ozzie mums out there???

Hi All,

I'm wandering if there's any other ozzie mums out there living in the Boston Suburbs, keen to email me and  share their experiences. We're moving to Boston soon from Perth and starting from scratch! I have 3 little children under the age of 7.

Cheers Kyles

Hi and welcome!

I'm a Melbourne mum ... but of a 19 year old! So I imagine you'll have lots of very specific concerns about young kids that we haven't had to deal with (not that relocating a 19 year old Aussie is without issues, especially to a country where drinking age - and therefore many social and work opportunities an Aussie teen is used to - is 21!).

But happy to share other thoughts and observations.

We are only here temporarily - almost half way through a one year posting. In some ways that is easier, in some ways I suspect harder. We are enjoying things and feeling confident now, but after the initial excitement of the move, did have several very tough months for the 'trailing' wife and kid.

We're in Cambridge, so not really suburbs - where will you be based?

Best wishes with it all, and by all means stay in touch.

Stephanie

(Not sure if these online replies give our blogs - mine (Expat) Faculty Wife

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for writing back to me. It seems there's always interesting times when you've got kids regardless of age. You just swap one set of "i'm not sures" for another.

My husbands work will be in Waltham. Can you suggest any family friendly suburbs with great schools that may be suitable, I was wandering about Lexington, Needham, Newton or Belmont but really feel like it's a bit of a stab in the dark without seeing them.

Love to chat more if you're keen?

Kyles

Hi

I'm not very familiar with the various suburbs (I think it's a Cambridge thing - rarely getting out of Cambridge) but I did notice this magazine article (you might have found it yourself but perhaps not) - http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-scho … index.html

The magazine it's from seems to do a lot of 'best of' lists, and they do seem to be taken quite seriously.

Thanks for this it'll come in handy.  How have you found it moving over to the states? and what would you say were the main cultural differences between there and Oz?

Hi Kyles,

We moved from Victoria to Lansing, Michigan in Sept 2011, also for my hubby's work. I have two boys, 5 and 2 and am not working in the States.

The best advice we got was from his future fellow work colleagues. They advised which area to live in for the best school district (as I am guessing a few of your children will be going into school) and of course, areas to avoid!

I have been to the US before (but not to live) so I knew a bit of what to expect. I would say there haven't been too many cultural shocks! I would recommend applying for a Social Security card as soon as you arrive even if you don't intend to work as they take a while to come through and you will need it to get a drivers license. (and driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is easy!)

My other advise would be to get out and join a mother's group or similar as soon as you can also...the longer you leave it the harder it is! They will also be a wealth of advice and knowledge for anything you need...doctors, restaurants, activities for the children...etc.

Please feel free to ask any other questions,
Regards, Kelly

Lots of adjustments for us. I think young kids make it harder in some ways but easier in others - schools give you a community to fit in to, mothers groups are an option for you to meet others with things in common, etc.

Getting your social security number early is good advice, also make sure you've got all your health care stuff sorted out, especially with those young kids - I guess your husband's company will help with this, but we found there are many steps (in our case, right down to working out how to use the 'easy' online doctor-booking service which was a nightmare). Could be worth setting up early doctor visits for something not too urgent as a bit of a 'dry run' in case there's any little twists that would be stressful if you've got a medical emergency or sick child.

Boston has great local libraries with most offering lots of activities, including for kids.

I've really benefited from using the 'meetup' online site, to connect with groups and activities - I'd never heard of it in Australia, but can't recommend it enough!

If you're moving shortly, it may still be winter - that will be a shock after Perth's summer! But we are having a very mild winter by Boston standards. That still means a few days where the predicted MAXIMUM is freezing point!

Also, don't know if you and your family are Aussie Rules fans, but there is an AFL team in Boston, the Boston Demons. It's a summer sport here, not a winter sport, but our daughter joined their women's team at the end of last season, and we travelled with them to Austin Texas for National Championships. There are lots of expats drift in and out of the team, as well as lots of Americans. Everyone has been lovely and welcoming.

Thanks for these tips,

Do I have to be in the country to get a social security number?? Or can I organise this from Perth? Do I have to have one even if I don't have a visa to work? and do the kids need one?

Joining a  mothers group sounds like a good idea and was wondering where I'd find out about them? Are there child health nurses similar to what we have at home for general development and milestone checks etc?

The whole health care system is sounding a tad scary, lucky for me I am an RN so can understand the health side of it but nutting out appointments online, hmmm. I've been told that children usually see a Paediatrician straight up rather than a GP, is this true?

Did you find other ozzies of different ages to chat to on the meetup site? from what I saw I got the impression it catered for a crew much younger than me...

looking forward to your reply,

Thanks again

Kyles

Hi Kyles

One of the things we found confusing about the health system is just how many variations there are, unlike home where the system is pretty predictable and consistent. It's all about your insurance scheme/provider, so each scheme could have different procedures (eg the online doctor's appointments is part of our scheme through husband's employer, but I don't know how widespread that is). Even things like prescriptions can be different - my daughter just discovered she can only get prescription refills from the same pharmacy she went to the first time, not at any chemist as at home. (Another chemist could do it, but they told her it would take 24 hours to get the prescription from the other pharmacy first!)

If you have any thoughts of doing study, I've also just discovered that Massachussetts law requires anyone studying on a visa to have proof of their immunisations - even though I'm 50, I have to go off and have a blood test (MMR, tetanus, Hep B, chicken pox, meningacoccal) to prove immunities (and maybe get more shots) before I can do one subject at Harvard Extension School!

Meetup has so many different groups - I've found a 'trailing spouses' group that is mostly younger (20s) but not all, even though I was definitely the oldest at the (very welcoming) dinner I went to, and I think I'm the only Aussie. But I also have a bookgroup that ranges from 19 to plenty round my age (50) or older.

I don't think you could apply for your Social Security Number before you get to the States. They need to see your passport, visa and marriage and birth certificates etc! You will be issued with a number which will be on record but you won't actually be given an actual card (unless you get a working permit [whole other issue!]). The kids do not need a SSN.

Re Mothers group: If you go to the Meetup site and put in a simple profile and where you will be living, it will bring up all the different groups that may be of interest. Of course not all groups are on there but it is a start.

I don't think there are Maternal Child health nurses like in Oz, you would see a nurse or doctor at the doctors surgery. And no, your children do not have to go to a paediatrician. People I have spoken to have different opinions, some prefer to take their children to a paed (but sometimes the appointment isn't for a few days!) others just take them to their GP. Your children will need their immunization record to be enrolled in school.

As yet, I haven't met any Australians here in Lansing or any expats at all!

Cheers, Kelly

PS Happy Australia Day!! (As it is too cold to break out the BBQ, we are going to the Outback Steakhouse...an Australian themed restaurant!!)

Hello again,

Firstly and foremost a big happy Australia Day to you both from home, we just took the kids to an outdoor fair and it was 38.5 degrees by 10.30 am, needless to say once the face paint started to drip we cut our losses and went home for some much needed air conditioning. Perth is forecasted to get up to 42 degrees today and the rest of the week 38 - 40 degrees. Its HOT!!! Too hot for a barbie even...

It sounds like the Meetup site is quite helpful I think I should have  a better look at it. It would be good to be in contact with someone before I get there, think you may be gone by that time Stephanie as we will arrive in July.

Thanks for the heads up regarding immunisation status, how current do the tests have to be? Am guessing within 6 months or so. The kids records will be current however is the immunisation schedule in the states the same as in Oz? My older children are fully immunised but the baby is just about to have her 18 month chicken pox jabs. The next immunisation is due at 4yrs, would it  be the same in the US?

Do you need a special visa to study if you come over with a working spouse? I did have study on my agenda just incase the walls start to close in if you know what I mean. An additional qualification from Boston sounds pretty exciting.

Do the certificates etc required for ssn and the kids immunisation records need to be originals, certified copies or photocopies? Did you get a working visa? is this hard to obtain in our situation?

Full of questions!

Chat soon,

Kyles

Kyles, sorry it's been so long reply to your questions!

The immunization schedule here is about the same except they have another (2 in total) chicken pox injection but I don't know when it is normally given. When my 5yr old began school he had to have it.

I would highly recommend bring all ORIGINAL documents you may need; birth, marriage, immunization, etc. I have not got a study or work visa so I can't answer any of those questions!

Cheers, Kelly

Cheers Kelly,

I Just happen to be online and saw your email. We are now in touch with a relocation consultant which I am anticipating will make things a lot easier, moving OS is huge!

Kyles