Beijing pollution and impact on children

Hi, my family is considering a move to Beijing for my husbands job. I have really only one major concern. The pollution and the impact.it can have.on 2 young childten
my eldest just turned 4 and my youngest is 7 weeks. ( she will be about 4.to 5 months) when we relocate.  Any info re this would be appreciated. More questions will follow for sure. Thanks kath

I have been in China since 1998, in Beijing since 2003. My youngest is 9 days old (7 Jan 2012)and we have no intention of leaving Beijing.

Does that answer the question?

If your child has a medical condition consult a Doctor, If she is normal healthy child then maybe will meet at kiddy activities.

thanks, any info is appreciated as this is  big move for our little ones

The pollution level is insane. There is no way to really know what the long term effects are, but spend 3 days in a row with an AQI of 400+ and you will know whether you want to expose people you love and care about to this environment for any length of time.

You have to try it first. It is a huge decision and you should spend at least a week or two here before committing.  If you are smart enough to ask about the air pollution there's a good chance you are not going to like what you find.

Pity Beijing is not in the Swiss Alps.

Yes, there sure are bad days but people do not walk around with gas marks, screaming for oxygen.

Long term effects? Who knows, but maybe not as bad as turn of the century (last century) London smog days.

Come and try is always an excellent idea.

There is an American doctor with a great website on health issues in Beijing.  Look up MyHealth Beijing when you get a chance.  He covers not only the air pollution issues, but water quality and food safety as well.

Thankyou both for your input. Yes we have our pre visit soon and i will definitely look at that website you suggested tin turtle. Thanks again

We just had the most incredible two weeks of clean air I can remember.  Even today, it is crystal clear and blue sky.  I have no idea why, but it has felt great.