High school

I'm a Associate Professor from Russia.I/m suggested to work in Dodoma University. How expensive are there? What are the price of food, oil, items? Is it a good suggesting? How safety is there? Please, help me!
My e-mail '[email protected].
My good wishes!
Sveta

Hi there Sveta,

Finding information about a specific location can be hard. Sometimes you have to be creative and proactive. One idea can be to search online for businesses or schools in the location that you are wanting to move to. Ex. Dodoma. Once you have a list of places you can contact that business or school through email and just ask someone personally. If the website lists a specific persons name then it is best to address an individual. I have found out that many people are friendly and willing to help. But don't be discouraged if someone is rude or unhelpful, or just never emails you back. Making the move to Tanzania is a big one and it is best to do your research, like you are doing.

I know of a German couple that lived in Dodoma for years and works for an organization called, MAF, I don't think that they would like me posting their personal contact information, but you can try getting the contact information off of this website, contact the Dodoma office and just ask for help with general information about Dodoma. It might be worth a try.

MAF Website

dear Irinda,
Thanks for your message! I hope it helps me to get information. But may be you could to give some knoledge? For example, is malaria really dangerous in cities? could I buy special food for my dog?Or natural milk? What is a prise of elektricy? I would be glad to recieve any information.

I will email you the information that I have with some of those things, but to answer in short.

Malaria is dangerous anywhere in Tanzania, but prevention is manageable, and possible, and treatment is available. I have some answers to the frequently asked questions regarding malaria on my website. The True Tanzania.

I know there is the usual dog food in Arusha, and Dar Es Salaam, the hard kind in pieces, you can get it sent to Dodoma by bus if you can't find it where you will be living. There is also another kind that in a powered form that you have to cook. The "normal" dog food will probably be more expensive than what you are currently paying.

If there is a dairy in Dodoma then fresh Cow's milk will be  available, usually in small bags, that you can buy. All over Tanzania you can buy milk in a box or dry powered milk that you mix with water.

Electricity prices have just increased dramatically here. There is only one electric company that powers the entire country.And they chose to majorly increase prices. News Article Here

It is hard to say how much power would cost for one person. We are family with 4 kids, and keep security lights on all night, use a washing machine and dryer, have a large refrigerator, and freezer, we are expecting that our electric bill, after the increase, will be about 250,000 tzs which is less than $200 usd. So for a single person I would say way, way lower than that of course.

This is without power outages. Last year there was a big power ration, and the power was off for more than 12hrs a day, every third day. The bill was of course a lot lower for us then.

Ha, and this was my short answer. :-)

Bonnie