Working Conditions & Rights As An Employee In Norway

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and also new in Norway. I live and work in Norway now for 2 months. I work in a restaurant which is run by a guy from the Middle East. I would like to know some info about my rights as an employee here, because I feel like I'm being exploited here by my employer and I don't know how to react and what to do.

Before moving to Norway I talked with my employer over the phone and we discussed about the work I was going to do and we made an agreement (over the phone) about my payment, working hours, housing, food, day offs and what my place in the restaurant would be and also my duties. He told me that my starting wage monthly would be 10K crones per month if I choose to stay with the rest of the personnel and eat from the restaurant or 20K if I choose to live on my own and provide my own food. About the working hours he mentioned that from Monday to Friday the working hours would be from 1pm to 11pm including Sundays and Saturdays from 1pm to 3am.
My duties would be to make food since I was a chef and pizza baker assistant.

Well, upon arriving here and starting working, I realized that all of the above were just bullshit...Sorry for the expression but you will understand why I say it like that while I keep on explaining you the situation I'm in to. Since I started living with the personnel, I realized I had to get my own place (rent) and move as quick as possible because 5 people living in a small house of 40sq.m isn't the most "healthiest" thing. So I decided to ask my employer to raise the salary to 20K as we agreed so I could cover my rent, bills and food expenses...And here is where the "fun" started. His reaction to my request was a a nervous laughter and ignorance on my request. He "switched" the whole thing to something...totally different from what we agreed. He said that he never said to me he was gonna pay me 20K if I choose to stay alone and that this is out of the question. He told me that if I don't like this I could leave...But how can I leave now that I invested so much in order to move to Norway? And that was the moment I felt like a big time sucker. Of course I couldn't do anything about it anymore and I said that I would stay since I need money now that I have so many debts and with the condition to save money and move as quick as possible from here and find something more decent and fair. Later also I found out that my working hours expanded by one hour more each day, so by calculating the working time, my working hours are more or less 80+ hours per week without any day offs on weekends which by the way I'm not getting paid for the extra hours nor the week days.
And as for the my duties....I'm just doing everything in there. From dishwashing and cleaning the place to making food and do all the restaurant daily preparation.

So, my question(s) over here would be:
What's the maximum working hours allowed by the law in Norway and what happens if I work more than the allowed? Can I get my employer to pay me for that?

How about my duties on the facility? Am I supposed to cover all the work over there?

My contract which he gave me doesn't mention my working hours (except the one I registered on UDI which says 30 hours per week)but the one I hold in my hands doesn't. It also mentions that I have a 25min break every day but I never had one.

Is there anything I can do and the law protects me from not losing my job and also not getting kicked from the apartment I live in?

Please if anyone can help me out by answering the above I would really appreciate it.

And also I'm really desperate for another job if anything available. I can do dish washing, cleaning, pizza baking (Italian way), cook Mediterranean cuisine (good knowledge on Greek and Italian cuisine), restaurant day's preparation, weight lifting, driving and whatever else is needed. My profession though is computer technician and network support & assistance. I'm really willing and hard working person. Work both on solo or can be a good team "player". I'm friendly, very social person and do my best to get the work done. I know I sound like I'm complaining too much about what I'm doing right now but you can read up why I feel like this. I promise you, if someones interested in hiring me and treat me like human and not like my employer where I work now, I won't disappoint you and will give my best self. I don't ask for high salary. I only want enough to provide for my own housing, food and bills to live like a human.

If anyone interested please contact me on [email protected]

Thank you in advance for reading this. I hope there will be someone who can help me out.

Hello,

here you can find the legal information you need:
http://www.arbeidstilsynet.no/artikkel.html?tid=79289

It is best you discuss your case directly with them as it appears fairly complicaty, especially since it involves a place of residence in your work contract.

hope this helps!