Got lotsa questions!!

Hi I'm justin and I live in Calgary Alberta Canada. I want to move to panama but have a few questions maybe someone can help me with. First is where would be a better city to live in? I'm 20 and enjoy going out but part of the reason i want to leave is because Calgary is getting way to crowded for me. I heard near panama city or colorando. Second as long as its not -40 for months at a time weather isn't a big issue. Third how easy is it to obtain residence and a job? I'm a carpenter and going for my red seal next month and am debating starting my own business or applying for a job. Next there anything I should take into consideration? Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated. Thx!

Hi Justin,

We are from Red Deer and are leaving for the same reason. It is FAR to cold for us. First of all, you cannot work down there. You'll have to start your own business. We found this out threw talking to people who have already moved. If you start your own business, you'll have to hire a carpenter to work for you. Wages are super low so you won't have to pay them much. You'll just get to hang out on the beach while your bank account keeps growing. Atleast that's what I am banking on :)

Residency... You can get a visa good for 180, then you will have to cross the border and leave the country (ie go for a vaca to Costa Rica for 3 days) come back and get another 180 days. So twice a year you'll have to leave for 3 days. Not bad if you ask me. I'll spend 3 days in Costa Rica anyday. Hope that helps!

Hi ,

We are a South Afican family wanting to leave South Africa and live in Panama and start a business and be able to run it on a daily basis. It will be myself ( 38 years old ) my mom ( 77 years old ) and my my future wife (28 years old ) i would like to know is there a minimum investement reuquired in order to live in Panama as i hear so many different stories from different laywers

Thank you
Grant

Hi Justin,
I just came to Panama in December from the states. I know Panama really well since I was stationed here with the Marines way back when. I have been coming here for many years and finally settled here. I think for a young man the city is the place to be. However it is crowded. No matter where you end up going be ready for culture shock. Things go a lot slower down here than you are use to. I would not bring anything but my suit cases. You will be able to find anything you need here.
Good luck with your move if you decide to come down.

jrod